Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 1101D
Phone: (765) 494-3844
personal web site
Ph.D., Stanford University, 2003
M.S., Stanford University, 1997
B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1995
Environmental fluid mechanics, turbulence and mixing in natural water bodies, Lake Michigan circulation, internal waves, surface water waves, density-stratified flows, laboratory and field techniques in fluid mechanics including particle image velocimetry (PIV) and planar laser-induced fluorescence (PLIF).
- CE340 Hydraulics
- CE343 Hydraulics Laboratory
- CE443 Introductory Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- CE543 Coastal Engineering
- CE547 Transport Processes in Surface Waters
- CE597 Environmental Fluid Mechanics
Honors & Awards
- Purdue University Bravo Award (2015)
- Purdue University Exceptional Early Career Teaching Award (2014)
- Exceptional Early Career Teaching Award, Purdue College of Engineering (2014)
- Edmund Burke Outstanding Civil Engineering Professor Award (2012)
- Harold Munson Teaching Award (2010)
- Zimmerman Civil Engineering Innovation Award (2009)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, ExCEED Teaching Fellow (2009)
(Pedagogical publications located here)
- Choi, J.M., C.D. Troy, N. Hawley, M. McCormick, and M.G. Wells (20xx) Lateral dispersion of dye and drifters in the center of a very large lake. Accepted, Limnology and Oceanography
- Cannon, D.J., C.D. Troy, Q. Liao, and H. Bootsma (2019) Ice-free radiative convection drives spring mixing in a large lake. Accepted, Geophysical Research Letters
- Cannon, D. J., & Troy, C. D. (2018). Observations of turbulence and mean flow in the low‐energy hypolimnetic boundary layer of a large lake. Limnology and Oceanography
- Shen, C., Q. Liao, H.A. Bootsma, C.D. Troy, and D. Cannon (2018). Regulation of plankton and nutrient dynamics by profundal quagga mussels in Lake Michigan: a one-dimensional model, Hydrobiologia, 1-17.
- Jameel, Y., S. Stein, E.F. Grimm, C. Roswell, A.E. Wilson, C.D. Troy, T. Hook, and G.J. Bowen (2018). Physicochemical characteristics of a southern Lake Michigan river plume. Journal of Great Lakes Research, 44(2), 209-218.
- Zischke, M., D.B. Bunnell, C.D. Troy, E.K. Berglund, D.C. Caroffino, M.P. Ebener, J.X. He, S.P. Sitar, and T.O. Höök (2017). Asynchrony in the inter-annual recruitment of lake whitefish Coregonus clupeaformis in the Great Lakes region. Journal of Great Lakes Research, in press and available online.
- Honsey, A.E., D.B. Bunnell, C.D. Troy, D.G. Fielder, M.V. Thomas, C.T. Knight, S.C. Chong, and T.O. Höök (2016). Recruitment Synchrony of Yellow Perch (Perca flavescens, Percidae) in the Great Lakes Region, 1966-2008. Fisheries Research, 181, 214-221.
- Bunnell, D. B., Höök, T. O., Troy, C. D., Liu, W., Madenjian, C. P., & Adams, J. V. (2016). Testing for synchrony in recruitment among four Lake Michigan fish species. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 999(1-10).
- Troy, C.D., D. Cannon, Q. Liao, and H. Bootsma (2016). Logarithmic velocity structure in the deep hypolimnetic waters of Lake Michigan. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 121(1). 949-965.
- Tan, J., K.A. Cherkauer, I. Chaubey, C.D. Troy, and R. Essig (2016). Water Quality Estimation of River Plumes in Southern Lake Michigan Using Hyperion, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 42(3), 524-535.
- Choi, J. M., Troy, C. D., & Hawley, N. (2015). Shear dispersion from near‐inertial internal Poincaré waves in large lakes. Limnology and Oceanography, 60(6), 2222-2235.
- Coulter, D. P., Sepúlveda, M. S., Troy, C. D., & Höök, T. O. (2015). Species‐specific effects of subdaily temperature fluctuations on consumption, growth and stress responses in two physiologically similar fish species. Ecology of Freshwater Fish.
- Withers, J.L., T.M. Sesterhenn, C.J. Foley, C.D. Troy, and T.O. Höök (2015). Diets and growth potential of early stage larval yellow perch and alewife in a nearshore region of southeastern Lake Michigan. Journal of Great Lakes Research, Volume 41, Supplement 3, Pages 197-209
- Coulter, D. and M.S. Sepúlveda, C.D. Troy, T.O. Höök (2014). Thermal habitat quality of aquatic organisms near power plant discharges: potential exacerbating effects of climate warming. Fisheries Ecology and Management. 21: 196-210.
- Ahmed, S., C.D. Troy, and N. Hawley (2014). Spatial structure of internal Poincaré waves in Lake Michigan. Environmental Fluid Mechanics, 14:1229.
- Choi, J. M., C. D. Troy, T.-C. Hsieh, N. Hawley, and M. J. McCormick (2012). A Year of Internal Poincaré Waves in Southern Lake Michigan. Journal of Geophysical Research, doi:10.1029/2012JC007984.
- Troy, C.D., Ahmed, S., Hawley, N., and A. Goodwell . (2012) Cross-shelf thermal structure in Lake Michigan during the stratified periods, Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 117, C02028, 16 PP., 2012, doi:10.1029/2011JC007148.
- Hult, E.L., C.D. Troy, and J.R. Koseff (2011). The mixing efficiency of interfacial waves breaking at a ridge. Part I: Overall mixing efficiency, Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 116, C02003, doi:10.1029/2010JC006485.
- Hult, E.L., C.D. Troy, and J.R. Koseff (2011). The mixing efficiency of interfacial waves breaking at a ridge. Part II: Local Energetics. Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 116, C02004, doi:10.1029/2010JC006488.
- Hult, E.L., C.D. Troy, and J.R. Koseff (2009). The breaking of interfacial waves at a submerged bathymetric ridge. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 637, 45-71.
- Troy, C.D., and J.R. Koseff (2006). The viscous decay of progressive interfacial waves. Physics of Fluids, 18, 026602.
- Troy, C.D., and J.R. Koseff (2005). The instability and breaking of long internal waves. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 543, 107-136.
- Troy, C. D., & Koseff, J. R. (2005). The generation and quantitative visualization of breaking internal waves. Experiments in fluids 38(5), 549-562.