Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 1241
Phone: (765) 494-2239
personal web site
Ph.D., University of Maryland, 1990
MSCE, University of Maryland, 1986
B. Tech, Indian Institute of Technology, 1985
Infrastructure condition assessment and rehabilitation, infrastructure resilience, coupled human-infrastructure systems, value-added delivery of capital-intensive projects and innovative financing, construction safety and health, and global issues in engineering and construction
Selected Research Projects
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Integrating Safety into the Civil and Construction Engineering Curriculum, August 2006-May 2006
- Joint Transportation Research Program, Indiana Department of Transportation, Evaluating and Ensuring Safety of Nighttime Construction and Maintenance Activities, August 2005-August 2006
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Safety of Nighttime Construction Activities, February 2005-January 2010
- Purdue Graduate School (Special Initiatives)/Integrating Sustainability and Disaster Mitigation in Hospital and Civil Infrastructure Assets, August 2003-July 2004
- Joint Transportation Research Program, Indiana Department of Transportation/Analysis, Evaluation and Enhancement of INDOT's Utility Accommodation Policy, January 2003-October 2004
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health/Construction Safety Alliance (specific project: Development of Safer Trenching Operations, September 2001- August 2003
CE 220 - Construction Management
CE 221 - Construction Plans and Estimates
CE 520 - Construction Project Control Systems
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Purdue Book of Great Teachers, 2003
- Who's Who in Engineering Education, 2002
- Beta Tau Construction Engineering Honorary Outstanding Professor Award, Purdue University, 1996, 2001
- Stanley Zupnick Award, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 1987, 1988
- Sheikh Jaber Abdullah Jaber Scholarship, Kuwait - 1981-1983
- Irizarry, J., Simonsen, K., and Abraham, D.M. (2005). Effect of Safety and Environmental Variables on Task Durations in Steel Erection. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering Management.
- Abraham, D.M., McGlothlin, J.D., Halpin, D.W. and Hinze, J. (2004). Construction Safety Alliance - Examining Causes of Construction Injuries and Defining Best Practices That Improve Safety Performance. Construction Information Quarterly, Chartered Institute of Building, Ascot, U.K.
- Fuentes, C. and Abraham, D.M. (2004). Web-Based Bidding in Construction: Using Simulation as an Evaluation Tool. International Journal of Electronic Business.
- Chung, T., Abraham, D.M., and Gokhale, S. (2004). Decision Support Systems for Microtunneling Applications, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
- Whalen, T., Gopal, S. and Abraham, D.M. (2003). A Cost-Benefit Model for the Construction of Tornado Shelters. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
- Arboleda, C. and Abraham, D.M. (2003). Fatalities in Trenching Operations, Analysis using Models of Accident Causation. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.