General Education Requirements for CE Students
CE students must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours of General Education Elective* courses. Three credit hours of General Education Electives is covered with the combination of 1 cr. from CE 29202 (2 cr.) + CE 39201 (2 cr.)
Note: CE students must complete CE 29202 and 39201 and receive a grade of C- or better. It is recommended that CE students take CE 39201 in their Junior year as it is a pre-req. for CE49800 Senior Design.
The 15 credit hours of additional as defined
- General Education Elective I - Credit Hours: 3.00 (satisfies Human Cultures: Humanities for core*)
- General Education Elective II - Credit Hours: 3.00 (satisfies Human Cultures: Behavioral/Social Science for core*)
- General Education Elective III - Credit Hours: 3.00 (Upper-level: 30000-level or above or from courses with a required pre-requisite in the same department.)
- General Education Elective IV - Credit Hours: 3.00 (Upper-level: 30000-level or above or from courses with a required pre-requisite in the same department.)
- General Education Elective V - Credit Hours: 3.00 (any level)
At least 6 credits from Upper-level: 30000-level or above (or from courses with a required pre-requisite in the same department.)
Other Recommendations and Notes
- No more than 6 credits of General Education courses should be taken in any one semester.
- It is highly recommended that ECON 25100 be taken.
- If a student desires to take classes in a foreign language subject, credit is not allowed for language courses in the student’s native tongue(s), but literature, culture, drama, and related courses are allowed.
- All courses must be taken for a grade. However, credit by examination or granted credit, conditioned solely at the discretion of the awarding department, can be used to satisfy any part of these requirements.
- No course may be used more than once even if the offering department allows it to be repeated for credit.
- COM 11400 Speech (OC) and ENGL 10600 English Composition (WC) are required and separate from the General Education Electives.
Courses used to satisfy the General Education requirements must be drawn from the following list of subjects. Most courses offered in these subjects are allowable, provided that a course is open to CE students and a course is not primarily focused on professional training, natural science or mathematics.
AGEC, ANTH, ASL, COM, ECON, HDFS, POL, PSY, SLHS, SOC, WGSS
AAS, AD, AMST, ARAB, ASAM, CHNS, CLCS, CMPL, DANC, ENGL, LC, FR, GER, GREK, HEBR, HIST, IDIS, ITAL, JPNS, JWST, KOR, LALS, LATN, LING, MARS, MUS, PHIL, PTGS, REL, RUSS, SPAN, THTR