Professor of Civil Engineering and Affiliate of Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4110
Phone: (765) 494-2168
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., Wuhan Technical University of Surveying & Mapping
M.S. & B.S., Zhengzhou Institute of Surveying & Mapping
Space mapping, GIS imagery integration, feature extraction, and spatial data mining.
Selected Research Projects
- 2005, U.S Geological Survey, "Antarctic Topographic Feature Extraction and its Assessment from Laser Ranging Data", PI: J. Shan.
- 2005, Purdue Research Foundation, "Multiple Tier and Multiple Resolution Spatial Database for Internet Geographic Information Systems", PI: J. Shan.
- 2005, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, "Photogrammetric Principle for Lenticular Autostereoscopic Display", PI: J. Shan
- 2004, JTRP, "Non-Destructive Estimation of Pavement Thickness, Structure Number, and Subgrade Resilience along INDOT Highways", PI: J. Shan.
- 2003, JTRP, "Modern Technologies for Design Data Collection", PI: B. van Gelder, Co-PI: J. Shan.
- 2001, NASA, "MOLA-Supported Precision Geospatial Processing of MOC Images: Models, Algorithms and Evaluation", PI: J. Shan.
Honors & Awards
Research Fellowship Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, Sept. - Dec. 2005.
Eduard Doleal Support for attending the 18th Congress of the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, the Federal Ministry of Science, Transport and the Arts, Austria, 1996.
Research Fellowship, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, 1995-1996
Prize for Outstanding Young Scholars in Science and Technology, Association of Science and Technology of Henan Province, China, 1993.
Prize for Outstanding Young Scholars in Science and Technology, Chinese Association of Science and Technology, China, 1992.
Prize for Scientific and Technological Advancement, State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping, China, 1992 (Project: High Precision Global Positioning Systems Supported Aerial Triangulation for Urban Areas) .
Best Paper Prize, Chinese Society for Surveying and Mapping, China, 1990 (Paper: A Fast Recursive Method for Repeated Computation of the Reliability Matrix QvvP).
- Zhang, S., Shan, J., Peterson, J., Li., J. 2006. DEM Generation and Quality Assessment for Glacial Topography: A Case Study in Southern Range, Tasmania. Geomatica, Canadian Institute of Geomatics.
- Sampath. A., Shan, J., 2006. Building Boundary Tracing and Regularization from Airborne Lidar Point Clouds. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Journal of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
- Shan, J., Fu, C.S., Li, B., Bethel, J.S., Kretsch, J., Mikhail, E.M., 2006. Principles and Evaluation of Autostereoscopic Photogrammetric Measurement. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Journal of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol. 72, No. 4, pp. 365-372.
- Yoon, J.S., Shan, J., 2005. Combined Adjustment of MOC Stereo Imagery and MOLA Altimetry Data. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Special Issue on Mapping Mars, Journal of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol. 71, No. 10, pp. 1179 ? 1186.
- Shan, J., Sampath, A., 2005. Urban DEM Generation from Raw Lidar Data: A Labeling Algorithm and its Performance. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Journal of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 217-226.
- Shan, J., Lee, D.S., 2005. Quality of Building Extraction from IKONOS Imagery. Journal of Surveying Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, February, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp.27-32.