Professor of Civil Engineering and Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 3145D
Phone: (765) 494-2196
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., University of Iowa, 1985
M.S., University of Iowa, 1982
B.S., Iowa State University, 1979
Environmental chemistry, water quality modeling, environmental remediation.
Selected Research Projects
- NSF, C4E4-Cyberinfrastructure for End-to-End Environmental Exploration, 2006-2009.
- National Institutes for Water Resources Research Institute Program, USGS, 2006 State Water Research Institute Program, with sub-proposal by Jafvert and Govindaraju entitled: Wireless Monitoring of Purdue's Constructed Wetlands, 2006-2007.
- Advanced Concepts and Technologies International, LLC (ACT I), Equipment Grant for Improved Detection & Remediation of NBC/CBRN/TIC/ TIM, 2006
- Advanced Concepts and Technologies International, LLC (ACT I), Improved Detection & Remediation of NBC/CBRN/TIC/TIM Contaminants in Potable Water, 2005-2006
- NiSource, Mitigating the Flux of MAHs and PAHs within an In Situ Sand Cap via Hydraulic control at the Grand Calumet River Former MGP Site, Hammond, IN, 2005-2006
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Contaminant Remediation Optimization Project II (CROP II) (Jafvert & Ross subproject: Microbial Transformation of PAH Compounds within a Contaminated Sediment Sand Cap, Confirmation of Microbial Activity, 2004-2006
Honors & Awards
National Research Council Associateship Award, for postdoctoral study at the U.S. EPA Research Laboratory, Athens, GA, 1985
U.S. EPA Scientific and Technological Achievement Award, Honorable Mention in 1992 for authorship of the paper entitled, Distribution of Hydrophobic Ionogenic Organic Compounds Between Octanol and Water: Organic Acids.
U.S. EPA Sustained Superior Performance Award, 1989, 1991
- Hyun, S., Jafvert, C.T., Jenkinson, B., Enfield, C., Johnson, B. "Measuring the flux at the interface of coal-tar impacted sediment and river water near a former MGP site," accepted with for publication in Chemosphere, 2007.
- Rochon, G.L., Nies, L.F., Jafvert, C.T., Stuart, J.A., Mohtar, R.H., Quansah, J., and Martin, A., "Education in Sustainable Production in U.S. Universities", Clean Technol. Environ. Policy, 2006 (in press).
- Ahn, M.-Y., Filley, T.R., Jafvert, C.T., Nies, L.F., and Hua, I., "Birnessite Mediated Debromination of Decabromodiphenyl Ether," Chemosphere, 64:1801-1807, 2006.
- Hyun, S., Jafvert, C.T., Lee, L.S., and Rao, P.S.C., "Laboratory Studies to Characterize the Efficacy of a Sand Cap Placed over Tar-Contaminated Sediment,”"Chemosphere, 63:1621-1631, 2006.
- Ahn, M.-Y., Filley, T.R., Jafvert, C.T., Nies, L.F., Hua, I., and Bezares-Cruz, J., "Photodegradation of Decabromodiphenyl Ether Adsorbed onto Clay Minerals, Oxides, and Sediment," Environ. Sci. Technology, 40, 215-220, 2006.
- Jafvert, C.T., Lane, D., Lee, L.S., and Rao, P.S.C. "Partitioning of Mono- and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in River Sediment Adjacent to a Former Manufactured Gas Plant Site", Chemosphere, 62:314-321, 2006.