Professor Emeritus of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
personal web site
Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1967
M.S.C.E., University of Notre Dame, 1964
B.S.C.E., University of Notre Dame, 1962
Static and dynamic properties of soils and engineering materials as measured by laboratory and field tests, including non-destructive testing procedures such as wave propagation and time domain reflectometry; earthquake engineering and effects of earthquakes on natural and engineered facilities.
Selected Research Projects
- May 2006-April 2007, NSF, TDR 2006 Third International Symposium and Workshop on Time Domain Reflectometry
- Feb. 2006-Dec. 2006, Durham GeoEnterprises, Inc., Conductivity and Temperature Effects on TDR Measurements
- Apr. 2005-July 2006, FHWA/INDOT/JTRP, Advanced Compaction Quality Control, co-PI
- Aug. 2004-July 2007, NSF, Soil Treatment with Thixotropic Fluids: An Autoadaptive Design for Liquefaction Prevention, co-PI
- Nov. 2003-Feb. 2004, Durham Geo-Enterprises, Inc., Use of Personal Data Assistants (PDA) for Control of Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) Measurement
- Aug. 2003-July 2005, FHWA/INDOT/JTRP, Family of Curves for Chemically Modified Soils
Honors & Awards
2004 Kentucky Geotechnical Engineering Society/University of Kentucky Distinguished Lecturer.
Richard E. Ladd Standards Development Award for ASTM Standard D 6780 for Water Content and Density of Soil by Time Domain Reflectometry, ASTM, 2004.
Ross Judson Buck Memorial Award for outstanding counseling, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, May 2003.
The 2002 George Wadlin Award for Distinguished Service, Civil Engineering Division of ASEE, June.
ASTM Award for Outstanding Article on the Practice of Geotechnical Testing for the article titled "Time Domain Reflectometry Development for Use in Geotechnical Engineering",
March 2000 issue of the Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, 2002.
The Award of Excellence for Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Geotechnical Engineering and Education, Steering Committee of the Great Lakes Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Conference, 2002.
- Evans, A.C. and Drnevich, V.P. (2007) “TDR for Compaction Control of Granular Materials with Large Particle Sizes,” Symposium on Applications of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, SAGEEP, Denver, Colorado, March.
- Zambrano, C.E., Drnevich, V.P., Yu, X., and Nowack, R. (2007) “Soil Texture from TDR Waveform Analysis,” 20th Symposium on Applications of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, SAGEEP, Denver, Colorado, March.
- Drnevich, V.P., and Nowack, R. (2007) “Summary of New Developments in TDR for Soils,” 20th Symposium on Applications of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, SAGEEP, Denver, Colorado, March.
- Chen, R., Drnevich, V.P., Daita, R.K., (2007) “Estimating Chemical Dosage and Strength Development of Lime Kiln Dust Treated Soils by TDR” submitted for publication in the J. of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE.
- Daita, R. K., Drnevich, V. P., Kim, D., Chen, R. (2006), "Quality Assessment of Lime Kiln Dust (LKD) Modified Soils by Electrical Conductivity Measured with Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR)", Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1952, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., pp. 101-109.
- Chen, R., Drnevich, V. P., Yu, X., Nowack, R. (2006), "Water Content Measurements with Time Domain Reflectometry in Highly Conductive Soils using Reflections from the Soil Surface", accepted for publication in the J. of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE.