Professor of Civil Engineering and Academic Director for Research Computing
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4118 / BOWN 1046
Phone: (765) 496-8368
PhD, Purdue University, 2002
MSCE, Purdue University, 1997
BSCE, National University of Colombia, 1996
Earthquake engineering, seismic vulnerability of existing structures, displacement-based seismic design, instrumentation and testing of structures, response of structures to impulsive loads, structural-health monitoring, repair and strengthening of structures
Selected Research Projects
- 10/09 - 4/10, National Earthquake Hazard Reduction Program (NEHRP), Collapse Potential of Reinforced Concrete Structures, PI.
- 8/09 - 8/14, NEES Comm (Director: J. A. Ramirez, CE), Network for Earthquake Engineering Research, w/ PI: J. Ramirez, Co-PI: Barbara Fossum, Rudolf Eigenmann, Tom Hacker, Saurabh Bagchi, Sean Brophy.
- 8/09 - 5/10, Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute (CRSI), The Use of High-Strength Steel in Columns, PI.
- 01/09 - 12/09, NSF, Toward Understanding the Effects of the Wenchuan Megaquake of 12 May 2008; Guangzhou, People's Republic of China; February 2009, w/ Sozen.
- 09/07 - 12/07, XL Insurance, Test of a Ninety-Ft Post-Tensioned Reinforced Concrete Girder; Evaluation of the Strength of Post-Tensioned Reinforced Concrete Girders Designed by Thornton-Tomasetti Engineers for the Indianapolis Marion County Public Library, PI
- 08/06 - 06/07, Wausau Insurance, An Investigation on the Collapse of the Tropicana Casino Load Tests”, PI.
- 06/06-05/07, Purdue Research Foundation, “A Study on High-Speed Impact”, PI.
Honors & Awards
- ACI Fellow
- Excellence in Research – Seed for Success Award, Purdue University - 2015
- Bravo Award (Purdue University College of Engineering) - 2015
- Faculty Scholar - 2015
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award - 2013
- ASCE Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize - 2012
- Excellence in Research – Seed for Success Award, Purdue University - 2010
- Roy E. & Myrna Wansik Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching, Purdue University - 2009
- Edmund M. Burke Outstanding Civil Engineering Professor Award - 2008
- AISC IDEAS2 Presidential Award of Excellence - 2008
- Ross Fellowship, Purdue University - 2000
- Pujol S., Rautenberg J., and Sozen, M., "A New Look at the Metaphor of the Bottle-Shaped Strut," submitted to Concrete International.
- Pujol S., and Fick D., "The Test of a Full-Scale Three-Story RC Structure with Masonry Infill Walls," submitted to Engineering Structures, on 6 January, 2010.
- Pujol S., and Sozen, M., "Tests at High Strain Rates of A706 Steel Reinforcing Bars with Mechanical Splices," submitted to Concrete International on 29 September 2009.
- Bedirhanouglu, I., Ilki A., Pujol S., Kumbasar N., "Seismic Behavior of Joints Built with Plan Bars and Low-Strength Concrete," accepted for publication in the ACI Structural Journal.
- Sozen M., Pujol S., "A Sensor for Confident Identification of Structural Damage in Reinforced Concrete Buildings," Accepted for publication in Smart Structures and Systems.
- Chin J.C., Rautenberg JM, Ma C.Y.T., Pujol S., and Yau D.K.Y., (2009). "An Experimental Low-cost, Low-data-rate Rapid Structural Assessment Network," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No. 11.
- Pujol S., Smith-Pardo J.P., (2009). "A New Perspective on The Effects of Abrupt Column Removal," Engineering Structures, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 869-874.