Lee A. Rieth Professor in Environmental Engineering and Professor in Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 2129
Phone: (765) 494-0316
personal web site
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1983
B.S., Purdue University, 1981
- Professional Engineer, State of Indiana
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers
Physico/chemical processes of environmental engineering. Current research foci include disinfection processes for water and wastewater, UV-based advanced oxidation/reduction processes, swimming pool chemistry, UV disinfection of air and surfaces, water supply in developing countries.
Selected Research Projects
- Stochastic Approach to Design and Validation of UV Disinfection Systems
- Monitoring and Control of Gas-Phase NCl3 in Indoor Swimming Facilities
- Photocatalytic Air Purification for HVAC Systems
- Performance Testing of UV-Based Portable Room Air Purifier
- Standardization of UVGI System Dynamics Based on Far UVC Sources
- Performance Testing of UV-Reflective Films to Promote Air Disinfection
Honors & Awards
- EPA Training Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley
- Chi Epsilon
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1997
- Roy E. and Myrna G. Wansik Research Leadership Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1998
- William Edgar Award for Pioneering Research in Disinfection, Water Environment Federation, 2005
- Diplomate Environmental Engineer (DEE) (aka, Board Certified Environmental Engineer, BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers, by Eminence in the Specialty of Water Supply and Wastewater, 2006
- Sigma Xi, 2007
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014 - present
- Engagement and Service Award, Purdue University, College of Engineering, 2016. Awarded for leadership in development of interdisciplinary service-learning class entitled "Water Supply in Developing Countries." The class designs, builds, and implements holistic, community-scale water treatment systems for impoverished communities in developing countries.
- Corps of Engagement Award (with Alex Delworth, Rachel Gehr, Rebecca Johnson, Allison Koeppen, Vicki Simpson), Purdue University Office of Engagement, 2020
- SEEE Instructional Excellence Award, Division of Environmental & Ecological Engineering, Purdue University, 2021
Recent Refereed Journal Publications:
- Falk, R.A.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Kuechler, T.C.; Meyer, E.M.; Pickens, S.R.; Suppes, L.M. (2019) "Assessing the Impact of Cyanuric Acid on Bather's Risk of Gastrointestinal Illness at Swimming Pools," Water, 11, 6, 1314; https://doi.org/10.3390/w11061314.
- E. Y.; Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; Lian, L.; Li, J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2019) "CH3NCl2 Formation from Chlorination of Carbamate Insecticides," Environmental Science & Technology, 53, 13098-13106.
- Hu, Y.; Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; Xu, J.; Zhou, W.; Li, J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2020) "Volatile organic chloramines formation during ClO2 treatment," Journal of Environmental Sciences, 92, 256-263.
- Chen, M. and Blatchley III, E.R. (2020) "Chlorine/UV treatment of anatoxin-a by activation of the secondary amine functional group," Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 6, 1412-1420.
- Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; E, Y.; Zhang, S.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Li, J. (2020) "Methyl chloride produced during UV254 irradiation of saline water," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 384, 121263 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2019.121263).
- Yin, R.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Shang, C. (2020) "UV photolysis of mono- and dichloramine using UV-LEDs as radiation sources: Photodecay rates and radical concentrations," Environmental Science & Technology, 54, 13, 8420-8429.
- Sun, Z.; Fu, J.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Zhou, Z. (2020) "Using Algal Virus Paramecium bursaria Chlorella Virus as a Human Adenovirus Surrogate for Validation of UV Treatment Systems," Environmental Science & Technology, 54, 23, 15507-15515.
- Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; Xu, J.; Wu, X.; He, B.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Li, J. (2021) "Photolysis of N-chlorourea and its effect on urea removal in a combined pre-chlorination and UV254 process," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 411, 125111.
- Sun, Q.; Wu, S.; Yin, R.; Bai, X.; Bhunia, A.K.; Liu, C.; Zheng, Y.; Wang, F.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2021) "Effects of fulvic acid size on microcystin-LR photodegradation and detoxification in the chlorine/UV process," Water Research, 193, 116893.
- Blatchley III, E.R.; Petri, B.; Sun, W. (2021) "SARS-CoV-2 UV Dose-Response Behavior," Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, 126:126018, https://doi.org/10.6028/jres.126.018.
- Wu, T.; Foldes, T.; Lee, L.T.; Wagner, D.N.; Jiang, J.; Tasoglou, A.; Boor, B.E.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2021) "Real-Time Measurements of Gas-Phase Trichloramine (NCl3) in an Indoor Aquatic Center," Environmental Science & Technology, 55, 8097-8107.
- Tow, E.W.; Hartman, A.L.; Jaworowski, A.; Zucker, I.; Kum, S.; Azadi Aghdam, M.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Achilli, A.; Gu, H.; Urper, G.M.; Warsinger, D.M. (2021) "Modeling the energy consumption of potable water reuse schemes," Water Research X, 13, 100126.
- Hawes, J.K.; Johnson, R.; Payne, L.; Ley, C.; Grady, C.A.; Domenech, J.; Evich, C.D.; Kanach, A.; Koeppen, A.; Roe, K.; Caprio, A.; Puente-Castro, J.; LeMaster, P. Blatchley, E.R. (2021) "Global Service-Learning: A Systematic Review of Principles and Practices," International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement, 9(1), Article 11, https://doi.org/10.37333/001c.31383.
- Lee, L.T.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2022) "Long-Term Monitoring of Water and Air Quality at an Indoor Pool Facility During Modifications of Water Treatment," Water, 14, 3, 335, https://doi.org/10.3390/w14030335.
- Purwar, T.; Esquivel Puentes, H.A.; Pulletikurthi, V.; Li, X.; Doosttalab, A.; Nelson, C.E.; Appiah, R.E.; Blatchley, E.R.; Castano, V.; Castillo, L. (2022) "Novel sustainable filter for virus filtration and inactivation," Scientific Reports, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-13316-9.
- Blatchley III, E.R.; Brenner, D.J.; Claus, H.; Cowan, T.E.; Linden, K.G.; Liu, Y.; Park, S.J.; Piper, P.J.; Simons, R.M.; Sliney, D.H. (2022) "Far UV-C radiation: An emerging tool for pandemic control," Critical Reviews in Environmental Science & Technology, https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2022.2084315.
- Schuit, M.A.; Larason, T.C.; Krause, M.L.; Green, B.M.; Holland, B.P.; Wood, S.P.; Grantham, S.; Zong, Y.; Zarobila, C.J.; Freeburger, D.L.; Miller, D.M.; Bohannon, J.K.; Ratnesar-Shumate, S.A.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Li, X.; Dabisch, P.A.; Miller, C.C. (2022) "SARS-CoV-2 inactivation by ultraviolet radiation and visible light is dependent on wavelength and sample matrix," Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology, B: Biology, 233, 112503.
Books and Monographs
Ernest R. Blatchley III (2022) Photochemical Reactors: Theory, Methods, and Applications of Ultraviolet Radiation, Wiley. – Comprehensive coverage of fundamental principles that govern the dynamic behavior of photochemical reactors, experimental and numerical methods for analysis and design of these systems, and common practical applications of ultraviolet photoreactors.
Inventions and Patents
- Apparatus for Improving UV Dosage Applied to Fluids in Open Channel UV Disinfection Systems, Ernest R. Blatchley III, Kuang-Ping Chiu, E. Ronald Magee, James M. Kallio, Zdravka Do-Quang, Dennis A. Lyn, U.S. Patent Number 5,952,663; issued 14 September 1999.
- Dyed Microspheres for Characterization of Photochemical Reactor Behavior, Ernest R. Blatchley III, Chengyue Shen, Zorana Naunovic, Lian-Shin Lin, Dennis A. Lyn, Donald E. Bergstrom, Shiyue Fang, Yousheng Guan, J. Paul Robinson, Kathryn E. Ragheb, Gerald J. Gregori, U.S. Patent Number 7,842,512; issued 30 November 2010.
- Continuous-Flow Solar Ultraviolet Disinfection System for Water, Ernest R. Blatchley III; Eric Gentil Mbonimpa; Bryan Vadheim, U.S. Patent Number 9,546,100 issued 17 January 2017.
- Chlorination/UV Process for Decomposition and Detoxification of Microcystin-LR, Ernest R. Blatchley III; Jing Li; Xinran Zhang; Jer-Yen Yang, U.S. Patent Number 10,662,100 issued 26 May 2020.
- Methods and Systems for Separation of Chloramines in Aqueous Solutions, Ernest R. Blatchley III, U.S. Patent Number 11,084,738 issued 10 August 2021.