Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering and Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 3145E
Phone: (765) 494-2160
Personal Web Site
- Postdoc., Polymeric Materials
National Institute for Standards and Technology, 2011
- Postdoc., Environmental Nanotechnology
Virginia Tech, 2010
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering
Virginia Tech, 2009
- M.S., Environmental Engineering
Virginia Tech, 2001
- B.S., Civil Engineering
Virginia Tech, 2000
Dr. Whelton is passionate about conducting research to investigate and solve problems that affect our natural and built environments with an expertise in polymer science, analytical chemistry, food science, and nanoengineering.
- Whelton, A.J., McMillan, L., Connell, M., Kelley, K.M., Gill, J.P., White, K.D., Gupta, R., Dey, R., Novy, C. 2014. Residential Tap Water Contamination Following the Freedom Industries Chemical Spill: Perceptions, Water Quality, and Health Impacts. Environmental Science & Technology. DOI: 10.1021/es5040969
- Kelley, K., Stenson, S., Dey, R., Whelton, A.J. 2014. Release of Drinking Water Contaminants and Odor Impacts Caused by Green Building Cross-Linked Polyethylene (PEX) Plumbing Systems. Water Research. 67 (15), 19–32.
- Tabor, M., Newman, D., Whelton, A.J. 2014. Stormwater Chemical Contamination Caused by Cured-In-Place Pipe (CIPP) Infrastructure Rehabilitation Activities. Environmental Science & Technology. 48 (18), 10938–10947.
- Donaldson, B.M., Whelton, A.J. "Water Quality Implications of Culvert Rehabilitation Technologies: A Field Study of Cured-in-place Pipe and Spray-on Liner Technologies," J. of the Transportation Research Board, 2013.
- Greifenstein, M., White, K.D., Stubner, A., Hout, J., Whelton, A.J. "Impact of Temperature and Storage Duration on the Chemical and Odor Quality of Military Packaged Water in Polyethylene Terephthalate Bottles," J. of the Science of the Total Environment, 2013, pg. 376-383.
- Whelton, A.J., Nguyen, T. "Contaminant Migration from Polymeric Pipes used in Buried Potable Water Distribution Systems: A Review," J. of Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 43/7, 2013, pg. 679-751.