Karl H. Kettelhut Professor in Civil Engineering and NHERI-NCO Center Director
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Natural Hazards Engineering Research Infrastructure (NHERI)
Network Coordination Office (NCO) Center
Gerald D. and Edna E. Mann Hall, Room 243
203 S. Martin Jischke Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Office: HAMP 4125 / BOWN 1036 / MANN 154
Phone: (765) 430-7853
Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, 1983
M.S., University of Texas at El Paso, 1978
B.S., Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, 1977
Structural analysis and design of reinforced and prestressed concrete structures, with emphasis on seismic performance of concrete buildings and infrastructure, structural models and experimental methods, and design codes for structural concrete
Selected Research Projects
- September 2020 - August 2022, EAGER: Joint Hazard Mitigation in the Era of COVID-19: Implications for Engineered Structures and Services, National Science Foundation, In collaboration with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Georgia State University, Purdue University, and Notre Dame University.
- September 2019 - August 2024, NASA, Science Technology Mission Directorate STRI: Resilient Extra-Terrestrial Habitat Institute, In collaboration with Purdue University, University of Connecticut, Harvard University, and University of San Antonio.
- December 2018 - December 2021, Seismic Evaluation of Indiana Bridge Network and Current Bridge Database for Asset Management, FHWA and INDOT, Purdue University and Notre Dame University
- July 2016 - June 2021, Natural Hazards Engineering Research Infrastructure (NHERI) Network Coordination Office (NCO) Center, National Science Foundation, In collaboration with North Carolina State University, Texas Tech University, University of Texas, San Antonio.
- October 2009 - September 9 2014, NEES Ops (08-574) Cooperative Agreement CMMI- 0927178, National Science Foundation, In collaboration with Purdue University, University of Texas at Austin, San Jose State University.
- December 2006 - November 2012, NEESR-GC: Mitigation of Collapse Risk in Vulnerable Concrete Buildings, National Science Foundation, In collaboration with University of California Berkeley, Purdue University, San Jose State University, and University of California in Los Angeles.
- September 2003 - August 2005, Collaborative Research: Demonstration of NEES for Studying Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction, National Science Foundations, In collaboration with Purdue Univ., U. of Washington, UT, Austin, U. Nevada, Reno, UC, Berkeley, and San Jose State Univ.
Honors & Awards
2017 - Inducted to the Purdue Innovator Hall of Fame
2015 - Inducted into the Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering's Academy of Distinguished Alumni at the University of Texas at Austin
2014 - Expert Witness before the Congress of the United Stated, House of Representatives, Committee on Science Space and Technology, Subcommittee on Research and Technology
2005 - Joe W. Kelley Award, American Concrete Institute
2005 - Elected to the Board of Directors of the American Concrete Institute.
2000 - Delmar Bloem Award, American Concrete Institute.
1998 - Fellow of the American Concrete Institute.
1998 - Associate Editor ASCE Structural Journal.
1996 - Fellowship from the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science.
1990-1991 - Harold Munson Award, for Best Teacher in the School of Civil Engineering.
1989 - Ross Judson Buck'07 Memorial Award, for Outstanding Counselor in the School of Civil Engineering.
1987 - Ross Judson Buck'07 Memorial Award, for Outstanding Counselor in the School of Civil Engineering.
- Ramirez, J.A., Breen, J.E., (1991) "Evaluation of Modified Truss Model for Shear in Reinforced Concrete Beams," ACI Structural Journal, 88 (5); September-October, pp. 562-571.
- Aguilar, G., Matamoros, A., Parra-Montesinos, G., Ramirez, J., and Wight, J., (2002), "Experimental Evaluation of Design Procedures for Shear Strength of Deep Reinforced Concrete Beams," ACI Structural Journal, July/August, 99(4), pp. 539-548.
- Pujol, S., Sozen, M.A., and Ramirez, J.A., (2006) "Displacement History Effects on Drift Capacity of Reinforced Concrete Columns," ACI Structural Journal, 103(2), 253-262.
- Bobet, A., Ramirez, J.A., and Parra-Montesinos, G., (2006) "Performance of the Daikai Subway Station during the Great Hanshin Earthquake," ACI Structural Journal, 103(1), 113-122.
- T. Gur, A.C. Pay, J.A. Ramirez, M.A. Sozen, A. M. Johnson, A. Irfanoglu (corr. author), and A. Bobet, "Performance of School Buildings in Turkey during the 1999 Duzce and the 2003 Bingol Earthquakes," (2009), Earthquake Spectra, v. 25 (2): 239-256.
- Sneed, L. H. and Ramirez, J. A., "Influence of Effective Depth on the Shear Strength of Concrete Beams Without Shear Reinforcement and Skin Reinforcement - Experimental Study," (2010), ACI Structural Journal, 107(5), pp. 554-562.
- Villamizar, S., Ramirez, J.A., and Aguilar, G., "Shear Strength and Behavior of High Strength Concrete Prestressed Beams," (2017), ACI Structural Journal, V.114, No.01, pp. 277-289.
- Yeum, C. M., Lund, A. Dyke, S. J., Ramirez, J.A., "Visual data classification in post-event building reconnaissance," (2018), Engineering Structures, Vol 155, p 16-24.
- Rachel E. Henkhaus, Sandra Villamizar, and Julio A. Ramirez, "Increase in Coating Thickness of Epoxy Coated Steel Reinforcing Bars for Concrete Deck Replacement," (2020), ACI Materials Journal, September, Vol. 117, No. 5.