Karl H. Kettelhut Professor in Civil Engineering and NHERI-NCO Center Director
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Natural Hazards Engineering Research Infrastructure (NHERI)
Network Coordination Office (NCO) Center
Gerald D. and Edna E. Mann Hall, Room 243
203 S. Martin Jischke Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Office: HAMP 4125 / BOWN 1036 / MANN 243A
Phone: (765) 430-7853
Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, 1983
M.S., University of Texas at El Paso, 1978
B.S., Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, 1977
Structural analysis and design of reinforced and prestressed concrete structures, with emphasis on seismic performance of concrete buildings and infrastructure, structural models and experimental methods, and design codes for structural concrete
Selected Research Projects
- July 2005 - August 2007, Innovative Bridge Construction Program Implementation of Full-Depth Bridge Deck Panels in Indiana, FHWA, Co-PI: R. Frosch
- January 2005 - December 2006, Size Effect Verification Tests, Portland Cement Association.
- August 2004 - July 2006, Experimental Evaluation and Implementation of Post-Tensioning in Concrete Bridge Decks, FHWA and INDOT.
- November - December 2004, Post-Disaster Building Evaluation, State Emergency Management Agency (Indiana).
- September 2003 - August 2005, Collaborative Research: Demonstration of NEES for Studying Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction, National Science Foundations, In collaboration with Purdue Univ., U. of Washington, UT, Ausut, U. Nevada, Reno, UC, Berkeley, and San Jose State Univ.
- August 2003 - July 2005, Deck Replacement - Use of Extra-Coating Thickness Bars, FHWA.
Honors & Awards
2005- Joe W. Kelley Award, American Concrete Institute
2005- Elected to the Board of Directors of the American Concrete Institute.
2000- Delmar Bloem Award, American Concrete Institute.
1998- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute.
1998- Associate Editor ASCE Structural Journal.
1996 - Fellowship from the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science.
1990-1991 - Harold Munson Award, for Best Teacher in the School of Civil Engineering.
1989 - Ross Judson Buck'07 Memorial Award, for Outstanding Counselor in the School of Civil Engineering.
1987 - Ross Judson Buck'07 Memorial Award, for Outstanding Counselor in the School of Civil Engineering.
- Huo, H., Bobet, A., Fernandez, G., and Ramirez, J.A., (in press-accepted for publication) "Load Transfer Mechanisms between Underground Structure and Surrounding Ground: Evaluation of the Failure of the Daikai Station," ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering.
- Smith, J.P., Ramirez, J.A., and Poston, R.W., (in press-accepted for publication)"Distribution of Compressive Stresses in Transversely Post-tensioned Concrete Bridge Decks," ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering.
- Pujol, S., Sozen, M.A., and Ramirez, J.A., (2006) "On the Effects of the Quindio Earthquake," EERI Spectra, (in press-accepted for publication).
- Pujol, S., Sozen, M.A., and Ramirez, J.A., (2006) "Displacement History Effects on Drift Capacity of Reinforced Concrete Columns," ACI Structural Journal, 103(2), 253-262.
- Bobet, A., Ramirez, J.A., and Parra-Montesinos, G., (2006) "Performance of the Daikai Subway Station during the Great Hanshin Earthquake," ACI Structural Journal, 103(1), 113-122.
- Ramirez, J.A., Olek, J., and Malone, B., (2004) "Shear Strength of Lightweight Reinforced Concrete Beams," American Concrete Institute, Special Publication: High-Performance Structural Lightweight Concrete, SP-218,69-90.