Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4143 / BOWN 1048
Phone: (765) 494-2220
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
M.S.C.E., Purdue University
B.S.C.E., Purdue University
Steel design, structural analysis and design, structural fatigue, structural models, experimental methods.
Selected Research Projects
- August 2009-June 2010, Federal Highway Administration & Indiana Dept. of Transportation, Evaluation of Effects of Super-Heavy Loading on the US 41 Bridge Over the Wabash River, Bowman w/ Connor.
- April 2008-May 2011, National Academies of Science/NCHRP, Evaluation of Fatigue on the Serviceability of Highway Bridges, Bowman.
- July 2006-Sept. 2009, Charles Pankow Foundation: Design Procedure for Dual-Plate Composite Shear Walls, Bowman w/ M. Kreger.
- Jan. 2006-Apr. 2008, Federal Highway Administration and Indiana Department of Transportation: Training for Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) of Substructures, Bowman w/ McCullouch.
- Oct. 2005-July 2006, Alcoa: Fuselage Panel Fatigue Crack Growth and Residual Strength Test Program, Bowman w/ Grandt.
- Aug. 2004-Dec. 2006, Federal Highway Administration and Indiana Department of Transportation: Fatigue Strength of Steel Bridge Members with Intersecting Welds, Bowman.
- Aug. 2003-Aug. 2005, Federal Highway Administration and Indiana Department of Transportation: Training for Load and Resistance Factor Design, Bowman w/ McCullouch.
CE 270 Introduction to Structural Mechanics
CE 371 Structural Analysis I
CE 470 Structural Design in Metals
CE 474 Structural Analysis II
CE 498 Civil Engineering Design Project
CE 575 Experimental Methods in Structural Engineering
CE 591 Advanced Steel Design
CE 592 Plastic Design of Steel Structures
CE 597 Bridge Engineering Design Options
CE 671 Behavior of Metal Structures
CE 697S Bridge Engineering
Honors & Awards
- Harold Munson Best Teacher Award, 1983-84, 1988-89, 2002-03
- James M. Robbins Award Chi Epsilon, 1998-99
- Edmund M. Burke Award, 1997-98, 2006-07
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, Triangle Fraternity, 1993-94
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1987-88
- Parr, M.J., Connor, R.J., and Bowman, M.D., (2009). "A Proposed Method for Determining the Interval for Hands-On Inspection of Steel Bridges with Fracture Critical Members," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Accepted for publication.
- Akinci, N.O., Liu, J., and Bowman, M.D., (2008). "Parapet Strength and Contribution to Live Load Response for Superload Passages," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 13(1); 55-63.
- Chotickai, P., and Bowman, M.D., (2006). "Comparative Study of Fatigue Provisions for the AASHTO Fatigue Guide Specifications and the LRFD Manual for Evaluation," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Submitted and under re-review.
- Wood, S.M., Akinci, N.O., Liu, J., and Bowman, M.D., (2006). "Analysis and Instrumentation of a Steel Bridge for Investigating the Effects of Superloads". Transportation Research Board, Accepted to Publication.
- Chotickai, P., and Bowman, M.D., (2006). "Truck Models for Improved Fatigue Life Predictions of Steel Bridges," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 11(1); 71-80.
- Li, X., Whalen, T.M., and Bowman, M.D., (2005). "Fatigue Strength of Double-Mastarm Sign Structures for Natural Wind," Transportation Research Record, National Research Council; No. 1928.
- Barth, A.S., and Bowman, M.D., (2001). "Fatigue Behavior of Welded Diaphragm-to-Beam Connections." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE 27(10); 1145-1152.