Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4143 / BOWN 1048
Phone: (765) 494-2220
personal web site
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
M.S.C.E., Purdue University
B.S.C.E., Purdue University
Steel design, structural analysis and design, structural fatigue, structural models, experimental methods.
Selected Research Projects
- August 2009-June 2010, Federal Highway Administration & Indiana Dept. of Transportation, Evaluation of Effects of Super-Heavy Loading on the US 41 Bridge Over the Wabash River, Bowman w/ Connor.
- April 2008-May 2011, National Academies of Science/NCHRP, Evaluation of Fatigue on the Serviceability of Highway Bridges, Bowman.
- July 2006-Sept. 2009, Charles Pankow Foundation: Design Procedure for Dual-Plate Composite Shear Walls, Bowman w/ M. Kreger.
- Jan. 2006-Apr. 2008, Federal Highway Administration and Indiana Department of Transportation: Training for Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) of Substructures, Bowman w/ McCullouch.
- Oct. 2005-July 2006, Alcoa: Fuselage Panel Fatigue Crack Growth and Residual Strength Test Program, Bowman w/ Grandt.
- Aug. 2004-Dec. 2006, Federal Highway Administration and Indiana Department of Transportation: Fatigue Strength of Steel Bridge Members with Intersecting Welds, Bowman.
- Aug. 2003-Aug. 2005, Federal Highway Administration and Indiana Department of Transportation: Training for Load and Resistance Factor Design, Bowman w/ McCullouch.
Honors & Awards
- Harold Munson Best Teacher Award, 1983-84, 1988-89, 2002-03
- James M. Robbins Award Chi Epsilon, 1998-99
- Edmund M. Burke Award, 1997-98, 2006-07
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, Triangle Fraternity, 1993-94
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1987-88
- Parr, M.J., Connor, R.J., and Bowman, M.D., (2009). "A Proposed Method for Determining the Interval for Hands-On Inspection of Steel Bridges with Fracture Critical Members," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Accepted for publication.
- Akinci, N.O., Liu, J., and Bowman, M.D., (2008). "Parapet Strength and Contribution to Live Load Response for Superload Passages," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 13(1); 55-63.
- Chotickai, P., and Bowman, M.D., (2006). "Comparative Study of Fatigue Provisions for the AASHTO Fatigue Guide Specifications and the LRFD Manual for Evaluation," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Submitted and under re-review.
- Wood, S.M., Akinci, N.O., Liu, J., and Bowman, M.D., (2006). "Analysis and Instrumentation of a Steel Bridge for Investigating the Effects of Superloads". Transportation Research Board, Accepted to Publication.
- Chotickai, P., and Bowman, M.D., (2006). "Truck Models for Improved Fatigue Life Predictions of Steel Bridges," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 11(1); 71-80.
- Li, X., Whalen, T.M., and Bowman, M.D., (2005). "Fatigue Strength of Double-Mastarm Sign Structures for Natural Wind," Transportation Research Record, National Research Council; No. 1928.
- Barth, A.S., and Bowman, M.D., (2001). "Fatigue Behavior of Welded Diaphragm-to-Beam Connections." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE 27(10); 1145-1152.