III, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, F.ASCE
Lee A. Rieth Professor in Environmental Engineering and Professor in Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 2129
Phone: (765) 494-0316
personal web site
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1983
B.S., Purdue University, 1981
Licenses, Registrations, and Certifications
- Professional Engineer, State of Indiana
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers
Physico/chemical processes of environmental engineering. Current research foci include disinfection processes for water and wastewater, UV-based advanced oxidation/reduction processes, swimming pool chemistry, UV disinfection of air and surfaces, water supply in developing countries.
Selected Research Projects
- Stochastic Approach to Design and Validation of UV Disinfection Systems
- Monitoring and Control of Gas-Phase NCl3 in Indoor Swimming Facilities
- Photocatalytic Air Purification for HVAC Systems
- Performance Testing of UV-Based Portable Room Air Purifier
- Standardization of UVGI System Dynamics Based on Far UVC Sources
- Performance Testing of UV-Reflective Films to Promote Air Disinfection
- CE/EEE 350 Introduction to Environmental & Ecological Engineering. Basic principles of environmental engineering are presented, including fundamental tools used to examine environmental systems and solve environmental problems (e.g., material balances, environmental chemistry, elemental cycles). Common environmental applications are presented, including treatment of municipal wastewater, potable water production, air pollution, and management of solid and hazardous wastes. We will also examine approaches that have promise for allowing sustainable, long-term use of available resources, as well as contemporary and emerging environmental issues.
- CE 550 Physico/Chemical Processes of Environmental Engineering. Students in this class will learn fundamental principles of physico/chemical processes that are commonly used by Environmental Engineers. Examples will be given from many applications, but the emphasis will be on water and wastewater treatment. The principles that are taught in this class have broad application in Environmental Engineering, and in other disciplines. As such, the focus will be on fundamental concepts, so as to prompt their application in a wide range of settings, encourage questions and discussion, and to promote creativity. Course taught online as part of the CE online MS program (https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Graduate/Online).
- BIOL 595/CE 597/EEE 595/NUR 599 Water Supply in Developing Countries. An interdisciplinary service-learning class in which students design and implement systems to provide safe, affordable water to communities in developing countries.
- CE 650 Photochemical Reactors: Theory, Methods, and Applications of Ultraviolet Radiation. Students will learn fundamental principles of photochemistry and photochemical processes that are in common use. These fundamental principles will be used as a foundation to explore the behavior of photochemical reactors and methods used to evaluate and predict their behavior, including analytical and numerical methods. Applications of UV radiation will then be explored, including disinfection of water and wastewater; chemical transformations by direct photolysis, photooxidation, and photoreduction processes; and disinfection of air and surfaces. The focus in this class will be on fundamental concepts, so as to prompt their application in a wide range of settings, encourage questions and discussion, and to promote creativity. Course taught online as part of the CE online MS program (https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Graduate/Online).
Honors & Awards
- EPA Training Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley
- Chi Epsilon
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1997
- Roy E. and Myrna G. Wansik Research Leadership Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1998
- William Edgar Award for Pioneering Research in Disinfection, Water Environment Federation, 2005
- Diplomate Environmental Engineer (DEE) (aka, Board Certified Environmental Engineer, BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers, by Eminence in the Specialty of Water Supply and Wastewater, 2006
- Sigma Xi, 2007
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014 - present
- Engagement and Service Award, Purdue University, College of Engineering, 2016. Awarded for leadership in development of interdisciplinary service-learning class entitled "Water Supply in Developing Countries." The class designs, builds, and implements holistic, community-scale water treatment systems for impoverished communities in developing countries.
- Corps of Engagement Award (with Alex Delworth, Rachel Gehr, Rebecca Johnson, Allison Koeppen, Vicki Simpson), Purdue University Office of Engagement, 2020
- SEEE Instructional Excellence Award, Division of Environmental & Ecological Engineering, Purdue University, 2021
Recent Refereed Journal Publications:
- Falk, R.A.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Kuechler, T.C.; Meyer, E.M.; Pickens, S.R.; Suppes, L.M. (2019) "Assessing the Impact of Cyanuric Acid on Bather's Risk of Gastrointestinal Illness at Swimming Pools," Water, 11, 6, 1314; https://doi.org/10.3390/w11061314.
- E. Y.; Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; Lian, L.; Li, J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2019) "CH3NCl2 Formation from Chlorination of Carbamate Insecticides," Environmental Science & Technology, 53, 13098-13106.
- Hu, Y.; Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; Xu, J.; Zhou, W.; Li, J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2020) "Volatile organic chloramines formation during ClO2 treatment," Journal of Environmental Sciences, 92, 256-263.
- Chen, M. and Blatchley III, E.R. (2020) "Chlorine/UV treatment of anatoxin-a by activation of the secondary amine functional group," Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 6, 1412-1420.
- Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; E, Y.; Zhang, S.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Li, J. (2020) "Methyl chloride produced during UV254 irradiation of saline water," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 384, 121263 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2019.121263).
- Yin, R.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Shang, C. (2020) "UV photolysis of mono- and dichloramine using UV-LEDs as radiation sources: Photodecay rates and radical concentrations," Environmental Science & Technology, 54, 13, 8420-8429.
- Sun, Z.; Fu, J.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Zhou, Z. (2020) "Using Algal Virus Paramecium bursaria Chlorella Virus as a Human Adenovirus Surrogate for Validation of UV Treatment Systems," Environmental Science & Technology, 54, 23, 15507-15515.
- Yang, Q.; Guo, Y.; Xu, J.; Wu, X.; He, B.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Li, J. (2021) "Photolysis of N-chlorourea and its effect on urea removal in a combined pre-chlorination and UV254 process," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 411, 125111.
- Sun, Q.; Wu, S.; Yin, R.; Bai, X.; Bhunia, A.K.; Liu, C.; Zheng, Y.; Wang, F.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2021) "Effects of fulvic acid size on microcystin-LR photodegradation and detoxification in the chlorine/UV process," Water Research, 193, 116893.
- Blatchley III, E.R.; Petri, B.; Sun, W. (2021) "SARS-CoV-2 UV Dose-Response Behavior," Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, 126:126018, https://doi.org/10.6028/jres.126.018.
- Wu, T.; Foldes, T.; Lee, L.T.; Wagner, D.N.; Jiang, J.; Tasoglou, A.; Boor, B.E.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2021) "Real-Time Measurements of Gas-Phase Trichloramine (NCl3) in an Indoor Aquatic Center," Environmental Science & Technology, 55, 8097-8107.
- Tow, E.W.; Hartman, A.L.; Jaworowski, A.; Zucker, I.; Kum, S.; Azadi Aghdam, M.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Achilli, A.; Gu, H.; Urper, G.M.; Warsinger, D.M. (2021) "Modeling the energy consumption of potable water reuse schemes," Water Research X, 13, 100126.
- Hawes, J.K.; Johnson, R.; Payne, L.; Ley, C.; Grady, C.A.; Domenech, J.; Evich, C.D.; Kanach, A.; Koeppen, A.; Roe, K.; Caprio, A.; Puente-Castro, J.; LeMaster, P. Blatchley, E.R. (2021) "Global Service-Learning: A Systematic Review of Principles and Practices," International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement, 9(1), Article 11, https://doi.org/10.37333/001c.31383.
- Lee, L.T.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2022) "Long-Term Monitoring of Water and Air Quality at an Indoor Pool Facility During Modifications of Water Treatment," Water, 14, 3, 335, https://doi.org/10.3390/w14030335.
- Purwar, T.; Esquivel Puentes, H.A.; Pulletikurthi, V.; Li, X.; Doosttalab, A.; Nelson, C.E.; Appiah, R.E.; Blatchley, E.R.; Castano, V.; Castillo, L. (2022) "Novel sustainable filter for virus filtration and inactivation," Scientific Reports, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-13316-9.
- Blatchley III, E.R.; Brenner, D.J.; Claus, H.; Cowan, T.E.; Linden, K.G.; Liu, Y.; Park, S.J.; Piper, P.J.; Simons, R.M.; Sliney, D.H. (2022) "Far UV-C radiation: An emerging tool for pandemic control," Critical Reviews in Environmental Science & Technology, https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2022.2084315.
- Schuit, M.A.; Larason, T.C.; Krause, M.L.; Green, B.M.; Holland, B.P.; Wood, S.P.; Grantham, S.; Zong, Y.; Zarobila, C.J.; Freeburger, D.L.; Miller, D.M.; Bohannon, J.K.; Ratnesar-Shumate, S.A.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Li, X.; Dabisch, P.A.; Miller, C.C. (2022) "SARS-CoV-2 inactivation by ultraviolet radiation and visible light is dependent on wavelength and sample matrix," Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology, B: Biology, 233, 112503.
Books and Monographs
Ernest R. Blatchley III (2022) Photochemical Reactors: Theory, Methods, and Applications of Ultraviolet Radiation, Wiley. – Comprehensive coverage of fundamental principles that govern the dynamic behavior of photochemical reactors, experimental and numerical methods for analysis and design of these systems, and common practical applications of ultraviolet photoreactors.
Inventions and Patents
- Apparatus for Improving UV Dosage Applied to Fluids in Open Channel UV Disinfection Systems, Ernest R. Blatchley III, Kuang-Ping Chiu, E. Ronald Magee, James M. Kallio, Zdravka Do-Quang, Dennis A. Lyn, U.S. Patent Number 5,952,663; issued 14 September 1999.
- Dyed Microspheres for Characterization of Photochemical Reactor Behavior, Ernest R. Blatchley III, Chengyue Shen, Zorana Naunovic, Lian-Shin Lin, Dennis A. Lyn, Donald E. Bergstrom, Shiyue Fang, Yousheng Guan, J. Paul Robinson, Kathryn E. Ragheb, Gerald J. Gregori, U.S. Patent Number 7,842,512; issued 30 November 2010.
- Continuous-Flow Solar Ultraviolet Disinfection System for Water, Ernest R. Blatchley III; Eric Gentil Mbonimpa; Bryan Vadheim, U.S. Patent Number 9,546,100 issued 17 January 2017.
- Chlorination/UV Process for Decomposition and Detoxification of Microcystin-LR, Ernest R. Blatchley III; Jing Li; Xinran Zhang; Jer-Yen Yang, U.S. Patent Number 10,662,100 issued 26 May 2020.
- Methods and Systems for Separation of Chloramines in Aqueous Solutions, Ernest R. Blatchley III, U.S. Patent Number 11,084,738 issued 10 August 2021.