CODOing Into the First-Year Engineering Program
The following First-Year Engineering Change of Curriculum (CODO) policy applies to all students admitted to Purdue University for Fall 2012 and beyond. If you were admitted to Purdue before Fall 2012, click here.
First-Year Engineering CODO Requirements
Students must complete a minimum of 10 credits of First-Year Engineering core courses for a grade on the West Lafayette campus, with at least one course from each of the first three categories below. (Note: If more than the minimum number of courses are completed in Category 1 and 2 below, all courses fitting Category 1 and 2 will be utilized in determining CODO eligibility).
- At least one math course (MA 16100, 16200, 16500, 16600, 17300, 18100, 26100, 26200, 26500, 26600 or equivalents).
- At least one science course (BIOL 11000, 11100; CHM 11500, 11600, 12300, 12400, 13600; CS 15900; PHYS 17200 or equivalents).
- Only one course will be used from this category in the GPA calculation. The following criteria are used to determine the course used for the GPA calculation:
- ENGL 10600/10800 is the preferred course in this category. In the event a student has not completed ENGL 10600/10800, then
- COM 11400 will be used since it is a requirement for many engineering majors and is acceptable as a General Education course. If both ENGL 10600/10800 and COM 11400 are not completed, then
- A General Education course may be taken from the Human Cultures: Humanities; Oral Communications; or Human Cultures: Behavioral/Social Sciences (http://www.purdue.edu/provost/initiatives/curriculum/course.html) and it will be utilized to fulfill this category, or select from: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/GeneralEducationElectives.
- If ENGR 131, ENGR 132, ENGR 126, or ENGR 195H have been completed at the time of CODO, these courses will be used in calculating the CODO GPA, and a grade of C or better must be earned in these courses.
Guaranteed admission* into the program will be granted to those students who:
- Earn an average GPA of at least 3.2 in courses taken in Category 1 and 2 and one course from Category 3 (as described above) AND the grade in each of these courses must be at least C minus AND the student must not be on academic probation at the time of consideration.
- Have attended a CODO meeting.
- Attend a CODO Meeting
- Submit CODO Application
Students who have attended a CODO meeting may submit CODO applications to the front desk of ARMS 1300 between Tuesday, April 1, 2014, and Friday, May 2, 2014, by 4:30 P.M..
IMPORTANT: No CODO papers will be accepted after the application deadline.
- Application Processing
CODO papers must be submitted by the listed deadline and will be processed in a timely manner after semester grades are posted to the student's transcripts.
- Notification of CODO Status
Once your CODO papers have been processed, you will be contacted by a First-Year Engineering advisor via your Purdue email regarding your CODO status. IMPORTANT: Successful CODO into the First-Year Engineering Program does not guarantee course availability.
REMINDER: Students considering a CODO (change of curriculum) into the First-Year Engineering program MUST attend a CODO meeting in the semester in which they intend to submit a CODO application.
First-Year Engineering Program ▪ School of Engineering Education
Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering, Room 1300