Career Planning for FYE Students
Your planning for finding a career in Engineering should start in the first semester on campus. There are a variety of internship and other employment opportunities available to first-year students. And it is certainly the right time to start the development and practice of your self-presentation skills, including résumés, interview practice, and networking skills.
Center for Career Opportunities
Purdue's Center for Career Opportunities (CCO) is the definitive place to start. CCO offers a variety of services and resources to help students make plans, develop skills, and find a job. CCO also hosts recruiters, holds job fairs, maintains resume files for all Purdue students, and will make connections between Purdue students and industry recruiters. Things to do in your first semester on campus include:
- visit the CCO website to learn about their services
- visit the CCO office to meet with a CCO career counselor to get questions answered, make a plan, or get feedback on resumes or other documents
- read the CCO Career Planning Handbook
- create your resume
- create an account at myCCO, which will allow you to see job openings and post your resume for employers to see
Additionally, CCO maintains a "Career Closet" of professional attire for students who need interview clothing, or who may have left their professional clothing at home. Details are on the CCO Services webpage, in the seventh item on the left-hand list.
Remember that even though graduation may be years away, the time to start your professional development (and the time to start thinking about internships and pre-graduation employment) is now.
First-Year Engineering, in a partnership with PSEF, offers a one-credit seminar course in the Fall semester designed to help you with professional skills and prepare you for your time at Purdue and your career — ENGR 10400. Students will learn resume and presentation skills, learn about job fair opportunities, get feedback on their documents, and get practice presenting themselves to recruiters and employers.
Topics in ENGR 10400 include:
- The Industrial Roundtable
- Internships and Co-ops
- Resume building
- Getting involved on campus
- Study habits
- Deciding your discipline
Fall semester job fairs
The following is an incomplete list of job fairs that FYE students should consider visiting. A more complete and up-to-date list is available at CCO.
- Sept 15, 2014: Industrial Roundtable Company Seminars, Stewart Center, 10:30am-5:30pm
- Sept 16-17, 2014: Industrial Roundtable, Purdue Memorial Mall, 9:30am-4:30pm
- Sept 25, 2014: Building Construction Management Career Fair, Cordova Recreational Sports Complex, 10:00am
- Nov 4, 2014: International Career Fair, 10:00am