Professor of Civil Engineering and Director of Center for Road Safety (CRS)
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP G175B
Phone: (765) 494-5027
Ph.D., University of Illinois, 1994
Ph.D., Cracow University of Technology, 1993
M.S.C.E., Cracow University of Technology, 1981
Road safety measurement, modeling, and management; surrogate measures of safety, highway design and evaluation, traffic operations
Selected Research Projects
- Using Emerging and Extraordinary Data Sources as Means to Improve Traffic Safety (JTRP, 2018-2020)
- Developing a Process and Tools for Quality Control of Crash Data (2018-2020, INDOT)
- Identification of Safety Problems on County Roads: Methods and Tools for Local Agencies (2018-2019, LTAP)
- Analysis of Indiana Observational Data of Seatbelts Use and Traffic Safety Research with CODES Data (2017-2018, NHTSA/ICJI)
- Improving and Applying the SNIP Tool to Screening the Indiana Road Network (2017-2018, INDOT)
- System-wide Safety and Mobility Effects of Changing Speed Limits on Indiana Freeways, 2016-2019, JTRP)
- Building, Evaluating, and Improving LiDAR-based Traffic Scanner Prototypes for Implementation to INDOT Practice (2016-2019, JTRP)
- Systemic Safety Countermeasures Decision Guide and Updating the Indiana Crash Reduction Factors (2015-2017, JTRP)
- Guaranteed LiDAR-aided Multi-object Tracking at Road Intersections (2014-2015, NEXTRANS)
- Performance of Alternative Diamond Interchange Forms (2014-2016, JTRP)
- Stationary LiDAR for Traffic and Safety Applications - Vehicles Interpretation and Tracking (2012-2013, NEXTRANS)
- Upgrading RoadHAT - Collision Diagram Builder and HSM Elements (2012-2014, JTRP)
- In-service Performance Assessment of Road Barriers in Indiana (2012-2014, JTRP)
- Performance Assessment Measure That Indicates Geometry Sufficiency of State Highways (2011-2013, JTRP)
- A Systematic Approach of Identifying Safety Intervention Programs for Indiana, (2011-2013, JTRP)
- Best Practices for INDOT-Funded Work-zone Police Patrols (2010-2012, JTRP)
- 2011 Indiana TACT - Evaluation of the Program Effectiveness (2010-2011, FMCSA/ISP)
- GIS-based Safety Management for Indiana - Five-percent Report (2010-2011, INDOT)
- CODES - Linking Hospital Data with Police Crash Records (2008-2013, NHTSA/IDHS)
- TACT Project - Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks (2009-2010, FMCSA/ISP)
- Analysis and Methods of Improvement of Safety at High-Speed Rural Intersections (2008-2010, JTRP)
- Zhu, M., X. Wang, A. P. Tarko, S. Fang (2018). Modeling Car-following Behavior on Urban Expressways in Shanghai: A Naturalistic Driving Study. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, Vol. 93, pp. 425-445.
- Hou, Q., A.P. Tarko, X. Meng (2018). Investigating Factors of Crash Frequency with Random Effects and Random Parameters Models: New Insights from Chinese Freeway Study. Accident, Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 120, pp. 1-12.
- Sultana, M.A, A.P. Tarko, M Romero (2018). Evaluating the Operational Footprint of Alternative Diamond Interchanges. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, Vol. 144(9), 04018043.
- Tarko, A. (2018). Estimating the Expected Number of Crashes with Traffic Conflicts and the Lomax Distribution - A Theoretical and Numerical Exploration, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 113, pp. 63-73.
- Yaotian Zou, Andrew P. Tarko (2018). Barrier-Relevant Crash Modification Factors and Average Costs of Crashes on Arterial Roads in Indiana. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 111, pp. 71-85.
- Qinzhong Hou, Andrew P. Tarko, Xianghai Meng (2018). Analyzing Crash Frequency in Freeway Tunnels: A Correlated Random Parameters Approach. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 111, pp. 94-100.
- Thomas, H. A. Tarko and M. Romero (2016). Rollover Propensity of Heavy Vehicles at Roundabouts. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2585, pp. 39-48.
- Zou, Y. and A.P. Tarko (2016). An Insight into the Performance of Road Barriers - Redistribution of Barrier-Relevant Crashes. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 96, November 2016, pp. 152-161.
- Tarko, A., T. Hall, M. Romero and C. Lizarazo Jimenez (2016). Evaluating the Rollover Propensity of Trucks - A Roundabout Example. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 91, June 2016, pp. 127-134.
- Wang, X., T. Wang, P.J. Tremont, A. Tarko (2015). The Influence of Combined Alignments on Lateral Acceleration on Mountainous Freeways: A Driving Simulator Study, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 76, March 2015, pp. 110-117.
- Camacho-Torregrosa, F.J., A.M. Perez-Zuriaga, J.M. Campoy-Ungria, A. Garcia, and A.P. Tarko. (2015). Use of Heading Direction for Recreating the Horizontal Alignment of an Existing Road. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Volume 30, 282-299.
- Zou, Y. and A. Tarko, E. Chen, M.A. Romero (2014). Effectiveness of Cable Barriers, Guardrails, and Concrete Barrier Walls in Reducing the Risk of Injury, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 72, pp. 55-65.
- Cheng, E. and A. Tarko (2014). Modeling Safety of Highway Work Zones with Random Parameters and Random Effects Models. Analytic Methods in Accident Research. Volume 1, Issue 1, January 2014, pp. 86-95.
- Tarko, A., L. Boyle, A. Montella (2013). Emerging Research Methods and Their Application to Road Safety. Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 61, 2013, pp. 1-2.
- Xu, C., A. Tarko, W. Wang, and P. Liu. (2013). Predicting Freeway Crash Likelihood and Severity with Real-time Loop Detector Data, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 57, pp. 30-39.