Professor and Fehsenfeld Family Head of Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Personal Web Sitehttp://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jwsuther/
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1987
- M.S., Industrial Engineering,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1982
- B.S., Industrial Engineering,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1980
Professor Sutherland's research is focused on environmentally responsible design and manufacturing. Specific initiatives that he has pursued include: promoting closed loop material cycles through remanufacturing and recycling, pursuing more energy efficient and reduced environmental footprints of manufacturing processes, planning the logistics of biofuel production, developing indicators for corporate assessment of social sustainability, and investigating sources of manufacturing airborne emissions.
- Duflou, J. R., J. W. Sutherland, D. Dornfeld, C. Herrmann, J. Jeswiet, S. Kara, M. Hauschild, and K. Kellens, “Towards Energy and Resource Efficient Manufacturing: A Processes and Systems Approach,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 61/2, 2012, pp. 587-609.
- Haapala, K.R., A.V. Catalina, M.L. Johnson, J.W. Sutherland, “Development and Application of Models for Steelmaking and Casting Environmental Performance,” ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 134/5, Oct. 2012, CID-051013.
- Ortegon, K., L. F. Nies, J. W. Sutherland, “Preparing for End of Service Life of Wind Turbines,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol. 39, Jan. 2013, pp. 191-199.