3MT IS FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY.
We also encourage you to consider participating in the Graduate School’s 3MT!
- TBD– Deadline for submission (Date subject to change.)
- TBD- 3MT Competition
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps, or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Faculty, visiting professionals, and staff will serve as judges.
– Communication style: was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
– Comprehension: did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
– Engagement: did the oration make the audience want to know more?
There will be one winner and one runner-up . One People’s Choice Award will go to the competitor receiving the most votes cast by attendees.
Winners, runner-ups, and the People’s Choice Award will be given certificates in addition to a cash prize.
By submitting a poster/presentation, the applicant authorizes the Agricultural and Biological Engineering Graduate Student Association and Ecological Sciences and Engineering Interdisciplinary Graduate Program to share all information related to the poster/presentation (or subsequent award), including a photo, on the internet, in press releases, and in relevant program literature.
Note: Students who compete in this competition are still eligible the compete in The Graduate School’s 3MT competition