The Office of Campus Master Planning and Sustainability, The Agricultural and Biological Engineering Graduate Student Association, and Ecological Sciences and Engineering Interdisciplinary Graduate Program are excited to be hosting an Ideas Festival incorporating the 150th theme: Sustainable Economy & Planet. The Three Minute Thesis (3MT) on Monday, March 25, 2019 beginning at 3:00PM and ending at 5:00PM.
3MT IS FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY.
We also encourage you to consider participating in the Graduate School’s 3MT!
Please register here.
- Monday, March 18th – Deadline for submission (Date subject to change.)
- Monday, March 25, 2019 – 3MT Competition from 3-5 PM PMU South Ballroom
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps, or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Faculty, visiting professionals, and staff will serve as judges.
– Communication style: was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
– Comprehension: did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
– Engagement: did the oration make the audience want to know more?
There will be one winner and one runner-up . One People’s Choice Award will go to the competitor receiving the most votes cast by attendees.
Winners, runner-ups, and the People’s Choice Award will be given certificates in addition to a cash prize.
By submitting a poster/presentation, the applicant authorizes the Agricultural and Biological Engineering Graduate Student Association and Ecological Sciences and Engineering Interdisciplinary Graduate Program to share all information related to the poster/presentation (or subsequent award), including a photo, on the internet, in press releases, and in relevant program literature.
Note: Students who compete in this competition are still eligible the compete in The Graduate School’s 3MT competition on April 16, 2019.