2019 Fall P2SAC Conference - December 4-5
2019 Fall P2SAC Conference - December 4-5
|Event Date:||December 4, 2019|
|Hosted By:||Purdue Process Safety & Assurance Center (P2SAC)
|School or Program:||Chemical Engineering
Registration is now open for the Fall 2019 P2SAC Conference. All attendees please register at this link.
A hotel room block has been reserved at the Courtyard Lafayette located in Lafayette, Indiana. Register at this link. For more information or assistance with registration, please contact Riley Morris, Sales Manager, at 765-449-4800, extension 4934.
December 4: Industry-led tutorials on Process Safety
View the list of Poster Presentation Abstracts here.
View Tutorial Presentations here.
9:00-11:00 Conference Registration
11:00-12:15 Lunch - STEW 302-306
12:30-5:30 Four (4) Tutorials - STEW 214 ABCD
View descriptions of the four tutorial sessions here.
12:30 pm: A Tutorial on the CCPS Risk Analysis Screening Tool (RAST): A Hazards Identification and Risk Analysis (HIRA) Approach for Effectively Understanding and Managing Your Process Safety Risks, Bruce K. Vaughen, Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS)
2:15 pm: Using Calorimetry to Understand Reactive Chemical Hazards, Steven Horsch, Dow
4:00 pm: Unified Hazard Assessment: bringing together hazop, lopa, hazard registers, and bowtie diagrams, Edward M. Marszal, Kenexis
4:45 pm: Implementing inherent Safety, David Moore, AcuTech
6:00-7:00: Poster session and wine/beer/cocktail hour (open to all)
- Blake Finkenauer (Advisor: Prof. Letian Dou): Progress in lead-free and durable perovskites
- Juan Carlos Vega-Vila (Advisor: Prof. Raj Gounder): Post-synthetic preparation of solid Lewis acids with controlled density of hydrophilic binding sites and consequences for sugar isomerization catalysis
- Zachary Batts and Yang Lyu (mentored by 3M): Explosion analysis for hybrid mixtures containing dusts
- Hunter Lavoine (mentored by Fauske & Associates): Design and assembly of benchtop thermal hazards calorimeter
- Qiyuan Zhao (Advisor: Prof. Brett Savoie): Enthalpy of formation prediction via TAFFI Group Increment Theory
- Cheng-Wei Tai (Advisor: Prof. Vivek Narsimhan): Particulate motion in viscoelastic fluids -- effect of particle shape
- Lab safety (Advisors: Profs. Ribeiro/Mentzer & Dr. Devaraj, Corteva): joint P2SAC/ CISTAR efforts funded by NSF
- Cybersecurity (Advisors: Profs. Ribeiro/Mentzer & Dr. Devaraj, Corteva): joint P2SAC/ CISTAR efforts funded by NSF
- Jaeyub Chung (Advisors: Profs. Elias Franses and Bryan Boudouris): Interfacial tension, and phase behavior of oil/aqueous systems with applications to enhanced oil recovery
- Anvaya Bhusari (Advisor: Prof. Mentzer): Root Causes of Process Safety Incidents Across 14 Industries
- Zachary Piontek (Advisor: Prof. Mentzer): Identification of Common PHA Shortcomings
7:00 Dinner/Banquet (open to all) - STEW 218 ABCD
December 5: 2019 Fall P2SAC Conference
View the list of Speaker Presentation Abstracts here.
View Speaker Presentations here.
7:30-7:50 Osman Basaran, Academic Director, Purdue ChE: Welcome and Overview
7:50-8:15 Ray Mentzer, Executive Director, Purdue ChE: Overview
8:15-8:50 Carl Laird, Sandia/Purdue ChE: Systems approaches to protection of critical infrastructure
8:50-9:15 Jacob Morella, aeSolutions: Cyber PHA: A proven method to assess industrial control system cybersecurity risk
9:15-9:45 Brett Savoie, Purdue ChE: High-throughput quantum calculations of thermodynamic properties
9:45-10:00 Short break
10:00-10:30 Raj Gounder, Purdue ChE: PTD in catalysis and rxn engineering
10:30-10:55 Kingsly Ambrose, Purdue ABE: Sensing dust concentration using smartphone
10:55-11:20 Denise Albrecht, 3M: Right sizing combustible particulate management while meeting NFPA 652 requirements
11:20-11:45 Laurence Pearlman/ Greg Rodway/Gabe Onofre, Marsh: How is your process safety culture? Better practices and approaches to self-assessment
12:55-1:20 Charles Fialkowski, Siemens: Reducing the human error impact on Safety Instrumented Systems using integrated lifecycle tools
1:20-1:45 Denny Yu, Purdue IE: Human factors in the workplace-sensing human performance
1:45-2:10 David Moore, AcuTech: The convergence of process safety and security strategies for critical infrastructure protection of emerging threats
2:10-2:35 Jeff Sperry, Vertex: Process safety at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (<5L scale)
2:35-3:00 Min Sheng, Corteva: Industrial examples of misuse of DSC crucibles for thermal stability hazard evaluation
3:00-3:10 Short break
3:10-3:35 Ed Marszal, Kenexis: Lithium ion battery thermal runaway
3:35-4:05 Vilas Pol, Purdue ChE: Batteries and battery safety
4:05-4:30 Bruce Vaughen, CCPS, and Kenneth Bloch: Remembering the lessons of the 1989 Phillips Petroleum Company explosion
4:30-5:00 Prasad Goteti, Honeywell: Process safety risk index calculation based on historian data
5:00-6:00 Open discussion
6:00-7:00 Wine/beer/cocktails (no posters; attendees include Executive Committee, EC, and selected industry guests including members of the SAB)
7:00 Dinner (EC and selected guests) - PMU EW Faculty Lounge