Skip navigation

External Resources

Request a NIOSH Health Hazard Evaluation

When a CIPP worker, consulting engineer, or municipal employee who visits a worksite has a health concern or safety questions, whom should they contact?

A state employee or any employee of a local government entity will be covered by a state agency for safety/health hazard reporting purposes. The specific agency varies from state to state. For example, in Illinois, local government employees (city, village, state, county) may file complaints alleging unsafe working conditions with the Illinois Department of Labor. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) website will give links to each state organization with contact details.

All private sector employees may file complaints with federal OSHA where OSHA has jurisdiction. Again, it varies state by state. There are a number of states that have the legal authority to enforce the OSHA standards and have complaint processes similar to the federal OSHA states. Complaints may be filed electronically, by contacting the OSHA Hotline (1-800-321-OSHA) or by contacting the local OSHA field office.

How to file a safety and health complaint: