Make a Home in Purdue Country
“Two great cities, one great university.” That’s what you’ll find in the twin communities of Lafayette and West Lafayette, Indiana. It’s a great place to live, work, play and raise a family.
- Combined population of more than 156,500
- 60 miles northwest of Indianapolis and 120 miles southeast of Chicago
- Situated along the banks of the Wabash River
- Home to companies like Alcoa, Caterpillar, Wabash National, Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Evonik, Tate & Lyle, TRW Commercial Steering Systems, Landis+Gyr and Rea Magnet Wire. Coming soon: GE Aviation.
- Forbes magazine has named Lafayette/West Lafayette No. 2 in its ranking of the 200 Best Small Places for Business and Careers behind The Villages, Florida. Forbes points to Purdue University as having a large impact on both communities, also citing the area’s cost of living, which is 11.1 percent below the national average, its 4.8 percent unemployment rate and 1.8 percent job-growth rate.
- More than 250 restaurants—ranging from elegant restaurants, ethnic cafés and neighborhood delis to micro-breweries, wine bars, corner pubs and late-night coffee houses
- Numerous recreation opportunities—including hundreds of acres of parkland, outdoor riverfront ice skating center, nature center, zoo and nationally recognized trails network
To learn more about Purdue's hometown of Lafayette-West Lafayette, check out the following:
- City of Lafayette homepage
- City of West Lafayette homepage
- Lafayette Journal and Courier
- Lafayette-West Lafayette Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce
- Tippecanoe County