Pathways to the Faculty
The Pathways program is looking for junior-level underrepresented students interested in PhD study and a faculty career in engineering. Selected students participate in Purdue’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program and receive additional mentoring, networking, and professional opportunities.
Click here to join the mailing list! We will notify you when the application opens.
- Be matched with an Engineering faculty member at Purdue University to work on a research project of mutual interest. Participate in 11 weeks of mentored research during the summer in conjunction with Purdue’s SURF program.
- Attend weekly professional development seminars; learn skills necessary for success in graduate school and a faculty career.
- Become part of a growing support network. Receive additional mentoring throughout the senior year while applying for graduate schools and fellowships.
- Receive free housing, a total of up to $500 for travel to and from Purdue, and a stipend of $4,500 for the summer.
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Junior (or one year before graduation).
- Pursuing an engineering or closely related degree at a Minority Serving Institution. (If you are unsure if your institution is classified as Minority Serving, please email email@example.com.)
- Member of an underrepresented minority group in engineering (including Hispanic, Black or African American, Native American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, women, and people with disabilities).
- Interested in pursuing a Ph.D. and a faculty career in engineering.
- Meet all eligibility requirements for the SURF Program.
- Complete an application for the SURF program at www.purdue.edu/SURF. (Join our mailing list to be notified when the application opens.)
In your application essay:
- State your interest in being considered for the Pathways program.
- Briefly, explain your eligibility.
- Indicate your interest in learning more about a faculty career, and how this program will help you toward your career goals.
- Send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org notifying us once you have submitted your application. This helps us track the status of your application.
Hear from our Pathways participants:
Contact Dr. Audeen Fentiman with the Purdue University Pathways program at email@example.com.