Pathways to the Faculty
The Pathways program is looking for junior-level underrepresented students interested in PhD study and a faculty career in engineering. Selected students participate in Purdue’s Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program and receive additional mentoring, networking, and professional opportunities.
- Be matched with an Engineering faculty member at Purdue University to work on a research project of mutual interest. Participate in 11 weeks of mentored research during the summer in conjunction with Purdue’s SURF program.
- Attend weekly professional development seminars; learn skills necessary for success in graduate school and a faculty career.
- Become part of a growing support network. Receive additional mentoring throughout the senior year while applying for graduate schools and fellowships.
- Receive free housing, a total of up to $500 for travel to and from Purdue, and a stipend of $4,500 for the summer.
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Junior (or one year before graduation).
- Pursuing an engineering or closely related degree at a Minority Serving Institution. (If you are unsure if your institution is classified as Minority Serving, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Member of an underrepresented minority group in engineering (including Hispanic, Black or African American, Native American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, women, and people with disabilities).
- Interested in pursuing a Ph.D. and a faculty career in engineering.
- Meet all eligibility requirements for the SURF Program.
- Complete an application for the SURF program at www.purdue.edu/SURF.
In your application essay:
- State your interest in being considered for the Pathways program.
- Briefly, explain your eligibility.
- Indicate your interest in learning more about a faculty career, and how this program will help you toward your career goals.
- Send a brief email to email@example.com notifying us once you have submitted your application. This helps us track the status of your application.
Hear from our Pathways participants:
Contact Dr. Janet Beagle, Director of Graduate Programs for Purdue University’s College of Engineering at firstname.lastname@example.org.