The 3rd Biennial Purdue Energetic Materials Summit, PEMS'23 will be held June 13-15, 2023 on the campus of Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN.
The Purdue Energetic Materials Summit (PEMS) is a biennial summit designed to bring together thought leaders and decision makers in the defense, security and academic communities to discuss key challenges and potential technical solutions associated with energetic materials. Scientists and engineers across government, industry and academia will participate in the event, which is by invitation only. The summit will alternate between invited technical talks, workshops and free time allotted for conversation and community building amongst attendees. The work presented at the summit will neither be recorded nor released publicly.
Click here to register for PEMS! The registration fee covers participation in all events, event transporation and all PEMS-hosted meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner June 13-15). The registration link also includes information on hotel blocks as well as a visitors guide for West Lafayette.
- Early bird registration (by March 31, 2023): $400/participant
- Regular registration (after March 31, 2023): $500/participant
- Student registration: $250/participant
Technical talks from invited speakers will begin at 8:00 AM on Tuesday, June 13 and conclude at 3:00 PM on Thursday, June 15. All presentations will be at the Distro A level.
- Conference Keynote: Jason Jouet, Director of Munitions Technologies, OUSD(R&E)
- Wes Bruno, Senior Manager, Explosive Technologies Group, Sandia National Laboratories
- Christina Christensen, Principal Research Scientist, Northrop Grumman
- Peter Chung, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland
- Chris Goldenstein, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- Dan Guildenbecher, Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories
- Marisol Koslowski, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- Lara Leininger, Director, Energetic Materials Center, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories
- Stacy Manni, Deputy Director, Air Force Research Laboratory Regional Hub Network - Midwest
- Monique McClain, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- Michelle Pantoya, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Texas Tech University
- Davin Piercey, Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- Brett Savoie, Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, Purdue University
- Tracy Sheppard, Chief, Weapons and Materials Research Directorate Lethality Division, Army Research Laboratory
- Steve Son, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- Chad Stoltz, Energetic Materials Program Officer, Office of Naval Research
- Min Zhou, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Tech
Workshops will be offered on June 13-14. These workshops will cover emerging topics related to energetics. Confirmed workshop topics include:
- Flow electrochemical synthesis of organics (lead by Brian Tackett, Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, Purdue University)
- Evaluating adhesion in compounded energetics (lead by Chelsea Davis, Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering, Purdue University)
- Transforming batch to continuous manufacturing (lead by Gintaras Reklaitis, Burton and Kathryn Gedge Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering, Purdue University)
Tours of the Purdue Energetics Research Center (PERC) will be available 3:30-5:00 PM on Thursday, June 15.
Student Poster Competition
A student poster competition will be held on the evening of Wednesday, June 14. Cash prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- Energetics experimental research
- Energetics modeling and simulation
- Energetics characterization
- Energetics manufacturing
Purdue students affiliated with PERC, as well as students of invited attendees, are welcome to submit a poster. Students interested in participating should submit PDF files of their poster, abstract and a one-page resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on Monday, June 12. A poster template will be provided shortly.