- National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Science Undergraduate Laboratory Intern (2014)
- Center for Environmentally Beneficial Catalysis, Undergraduate researcher (2013 – 2014)
- Center for Biorenewable Chemicals (Davis Lab), NSF REU student researcher (2012)
- Eastman Travel Grant - Purdue (2017)
- Richard J. Kokes Award - North American Catalysis Society (2017)
- Graduate Research Fellowship Honorable Mention - NSF (2015)
- Ross Fellowship - Purdue University (2014)
- Graduate Research Fellowship Honorable Mention - NSF (2014)
- Senior Outstanding Academic Achievement - KU Chemical Engineering Dept. (2014)
- Undergraduate Research Award - KU Center for Undergraduate Research (2013)
- Two-Semester Outstanding Achievement in Physical Chemistry - KU Chem Dept. (2013)
- Top Honors General Chemistry Student - KU Chem Dept. (2011)
- National Merit Finalist (2010)
- Bates, J. S.*, Bukowski, B. C., Greeley, J. P., Gounder, R., Catalytic Consequences of Framework Polarity for Ethanol Dehydration on Sn-Beta Zeolites. AIChE Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, November 1, 2017.
- Bates, J. S.*, Bukowski, B. C., Greeley, J., Gounder, R., Catalytic Consequences of Void Size and Polarity for Ethanol Dehydration on Lewis Acidic Sn Sites in Zeolites. North American Catalysis Society Meeting, Denver, CO, June 4-9, 2017. (Poster)
- Bukowski, B. C., Bates, J. S.*, Gounder, R., Greeley, J., A Periodic DFT Study of the Influence of Lewis Acid Site Speciation on Ethanol Dehydration in Zeolites. Catalysis Club of Chicago Spring Symposium, Naperville, IL, May 17, 2016. (Poster)
- Bates J. S.*, Starace A., Habas S., Ruddy D., Griffin M., Schaidle J., Characterizing the Active Sites of Ligand-Capped Transition Metal Phosphide Nanoparticle Catalysts: Ligand Removal and Surface Acidity. 24th North American Catalysis Society North American Meeting, Wednesday Poster Session, P-W-B-192, Pittsburgh, PA, June 17, 2015.
- Bates J. S.*, Pan Q., Ramanathan A., Subramaniam B., Zr-Incorporated Mesoporous Silicates, Zr-KIT-6, As Lewis Acid Catalysts. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials II. AIChE Annual Meeting Oral Presentation, San Francisco, CA, November 4, 2013.
- Bates J. S.*, Ide M., Davis R.J., Oxidation of 1,6-hexanediol over Carbon-Supported Pt-Au Nanoparticles. Center for Biorenewable Chemicals Poster Session, Ames, Iowa, August 3, 2012
Solid Lewis acids catalyze reactions relevant to future energy and chemical solutions (e.g. biomass conversion),
but are less well-understood than Brønsted acids in terms of the influence of active site properties on the catalytic chemistry.
The objective of my project is to develop a fundamental understanding of how the nature and identity of the Lewis acid site influences catalytic chemistry and kinetics.
I will approach this problem using well-defined single-site Lewis acid zeolites (framework M4+ atoms) and detailed kinetic and mechanistic analyses of a probe reaction to develop structure-function relations.
Collaboration with theoreticians (i.e. the Greeley group) will be essential for identifying relevant descriptors of Lewis acid reactivity.
Note: * is for presenting author