The Zhao research group is part of the School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. Our research theme is focused on mechanics and material chemistry using experimentation and multi-scale modeling approach. Research interests include:
- Deformation, stress, plasticity, fracture and mass transport.
- Multiscale modeling, first-principles, molecular dynamics simulations, and finite element modeling.
- In-situ experiments.
- Mechanics of energy materials Li-ion batteries.
- High-temperature ceramics, semiconducting polymers, metallic glasses.
We are grateful for the sponsorship of College of Engineering at Purdue University, ASME, 3M, NSF, and ONR.
Recent publications (more...)
Recent news (more...)
- 10.26: Luize's work on in-situ experiments of electrodes in liquid electrolyte is accepted in Experimental Mechanics. Thanks Dr. DelRio for inviting!
- 10.22: Xiaokang passes the area exam and becomes a PhD candidate, Congratulations to Xiaokang! Luize passes the prelim exam, Congratulations to Luize!
- 10.03: Dr. Zhao gave a talk at the 2018 AiMES meeting in Cancun, Thanks Prof. Lin for inviting!
- 09.28: Dr. Zhao gave a talk at the SSRL user meeting at Stanford, Thanks Dr. Liu for inviting!
- 09.21: Xianyang Wu joins us as a PhD student, welcome aboard Xianyang! Yue Guo joins us as a visiting PhD student, welcome Yue!
- 09.05: Rong defended his PhD thesis. Congratulations to Rong!
- 08.27: Our group receives a NSF fund to study chemomechanical stability of oxide cathodes. We are grateful for the NSF support!
- 07.27: Rong's paper on corrosive fracture is accepted in JMPS, Congratulations to Rong!
- 07.09: Dr. Zhao visited KIT and TU Darmstadt and gave seminars, Thanks Prof. Kamlah and Prof. Xu for the host!
- 06.08: Dr. Zhao gave a keynote talk at the 18th US National Congress on Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, Thanks Dr. Yurkiv for the invitation!
- 05.23: Nikhil Sharma will join us as a PhD student this summer, welcome aboard Nikhil!
- 05.22: Dr. Zhao gave a seminar at UCLA MAE, Thanks Prof. Jin for the invitation!
- 05.13: Dr. Zhao co-organized a symposium on Mechano-Electro-Chemical Coupling in Energy Materials in 233rd ECS meeting, and presented our recent work of operando indentation on NMC cathode and Si anode.
- 04.03: Rong receives the 2018 Outstanding Research Award from the College of Engineering, Congratulations to Rong on the well-deserved award!
- 03.14: Haijun Ruan joins us as a visiting scholar, welcome Haijun!
- 03.12: Dr. Zhao gave an invited talk at TMS conference. Thanks Prof. Partha Mukherjee for the invitation
- 03.10: Dr. Zhao organized the 2018 Midwest SEM Student Conference sponsored by the Society for Experimental Mechanics. There were over 60 attendees and 20 oral presentations at Purdue ME!
- 03.08: Luize and Hong receive the Estus H. and Vashti L. Magoon Award for Excellence in Teaching from the College of Engineering, Congratulations to Luize and Hong!
- 01.08: Xiaokang Wang joins us as a PhD student, welcome Xiaokang!