The Zhao research group is part of the School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. Our research theme is focused on mechanics and material chemistry using experimentation and multi-scale modeling approach. Research interests include:
- Deformation, stress, plasticity, fracture and mass transport.
- Multiscale modeling, first-principles, molecular dynamics simulations, and finite element modeling.
- In-situ experiments.
- Mechanics of redox active materials - Li-ion batteries, Na-ion batteries, all-solid-state batteries.
- Mechanics of polymeric materials - organic electrochromics, superelastic organic semiconductors.
We are grateful for the sponsorship of College of Engineering at Purdue University, ASME, 3M, NSF, and ONR.
Recent publications (more...)
Recent news (more...)
- Hong passed her PhD thesis defense, Congratulations Dr. Sun!
- Madison Perrin joins us as a thesis master student, welcome aboard!
- Dr. Zhao receives the 2021 James W. Dally Young Investigator Award from the Society for Experimental Mechanics, Congratulations!
- Luize's work on Li profiling using nanoindentation is accepted on JMPS without any revision! Congratulations to Luize and Rong! Our collaborative work with Dr. Yijin Liu on mutual modulation between surface chemistry and bulk microstructure of Ni-rich cathode is accepted on Nature Communications, Congratulations to Jiaxiu and co-authors! Read the story here.
- Xianyang passes the PhD prelim exam, Congratulations to Xianyang!
- The paper on super- and ferro-elastic organic semiconductors is accepted on Angewandte Chemie, Congratulations to Hong and coauthors!
- Our collaborative paper with SLAC and VT teams on machine learning of particle-binder decohesion in batteries is accpeted on Nature Communications, Congratulations to coauthors! Read the story here. This paper is featured by Nature Communications Editors' highlights.
- Dr. Zhao gave a seminar on mechanical reliability of Li-ion batteries at SLAC's on-line Photon Science Seminar. Thanks Dr. Liu for the invitation and host!
- Dr. Zhao is promoted to associate professor of mechanical engineering with tenure, Congratulations!
- Jiaxiu passed the area exam and becomes a PhD candidate, Congratulations! Hong won the Sigma Xi Research Award, well done and congratulations!
- Pengfei's paper on computational modeling of heterogeneity in batteries is accepted in Journal of the Electrochemical Society, congratulations to Pengfei!
- Dr. Zhao visited UW and gave a seminar, Thanks Prof. Wang for the host! Dr. Zhao visited PNNL and gave a seminar, Thanks Dr. Lv and Dr. Xiao for the host!
- Dr. Zhao receives the NSF CAREER award, Congratulations! We are grateful for the NSF support!
- Sameep Shah joins us as a PhD student, welcome aboard! Fei's paper is accepted on International Journal of Plasticity, congratulations to Fei and coauthors!
- Xiaokang's paper on "Mechanical Breathing in Organic Electrochromics" is accepted on Nature Communications, Congratulations to Xiaokang and coauthors! Read the story here.