The Zhao research group is part of the School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. Our research theme is focused on mechanics and material chemistry using experimentation and multi-scale modeling approach. Research interests include:
- Deformation, stress, plasticity, fracture and mass transport.
- Multiscale modeling, first-principles, molecular dynamics simulations, and finite element modeling.
- In-situ experiments.
- Mechanics of energy materials Li-ion batteries.
- High-temperature ceramics, semiconducting polymers, metallic glasses.
We are grateful for the sponsorship of College of Engineering at Purdue University, ASME, 3M, NSF, and ONR.
Recent publications (more...)
Recent news (more...)
- May: Rong's paper on heterogeneous damage in electrodes is accepted in JMPS, Congratulations to Rong and our collaborators! Dr. Zhao gave a seminar in Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials, Thanks Prof. Arnold for the host and invitation!
- April: Dr. Zhao gave a seminar in the department of mechanical engineering at University of Michigan, Thanks Prof. Lu for the invitation and host! Dr. Zhao is selected to receive the Summer Faculty Fellowship in Europe - a great opportunity to bridge relationships with European partners. Dr. Zhao visited MSE at Boise State University and gave an invited talk for the IEEE WMED, Thanks Prof. Xiong for the host and invitation! Our team work with Dr. Liu and Prof. Lin on heterogeneous degradation in batteries is accepted in Advanced Energy Materials, Congratulations to Rong and the team! Two of our papers are among the most cited articles of EML, well done!
- March: Our collaborative papers are accepted in Advanced Functional Materials and Joule, Congratulations to the team! Nikhil receives the Estus H. and Vashti L. Magoon Award for Excellence in Teaching from the College of Engineering, Congratulations to Nikhil! Dr. Zhao visited UCSD MAE and gave a seminar, Thanks Prof. Cai for the host!
- February: Hong made a great presentation and passed the prelim exam. Congratulations to Hong! Xianyang passes the area exams and becomes a PhD candidate, Congratulations to Xianyang!
- January: Shan Hu joins us as a visiting scholar/postdoc, Sameep Shah joins us as a thesis master, welcome the new forces! Dr. Zhao gave a seminar at GIT, Thanks Prof. McDowell for the invitation and host.