The Zhao research group is part of the School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. Our research theme is focused on mechanics and material chemistry using experimentation and multi-scale modeling approach. Research interests include:
- Deformation, stress, plasticity, fracture and mass transport.
- Multiscale modeling, first-principles, molecular dynamics simulations, and finite element modeling.
- In-situ experiments.
- Mechanics of redox active materials - Li-ion batteries, Na-ion batteries, all-solid-state batteries.
- Mechanics of polymeric materials - organic electrochromics, superelastic organic semiconductors.
We are grateful for the sponsorship of College of Engineering at Purdue University, ASME, 3M, NSF, and ONR.
Recent publications (more...)
Recent news (more...)
- The paper on super- and ferro-elastic organic semiconductors is accepted on Angewandte Chemie, Congratulations to Hong and coauthors!
- Our collaborative paper with SLAC and VT teams on machine learning of particle-binder decohesion in batteries is accpeted on Nature Communications, Congratulations to coauthors! Read the story here. This paper is featured by Nature Communications Editors' highlights.
- Dr. Zhao is promoted to associate professor of mechanical engineering with tenure, Congratulations!
- Jiaxiu passed the area exam and becomes a PhD candidate, Congratulations! Hong won the Sigma Xi Research Award, well done and congratulations!
- Pengfei's paper on computational modeling of heterogeneity in batteries is accepted in Journal of the Electrochemical Society, congratulations to Pengfei!
- Dr. Zhao visited UW and gave a seminar, Thanks Prof. Wang for the host! Dr. Zhao visited PNNL and gave a seminar, Thanks Dr. Lv and Dr. Xiao for the host!
- Dr. Zhao receives the NSF CAREER award, Congratulations! We are grateful for the NSF support!
- Sameep Shah joins us as a PhD student, welcome aboard! Fei's paper is accepted on International Journal of Plasticity, congratulations to Fei and coauthors!
- Xiaokang's paper on "Mechanical Breathing in Organic Electrochromics" is accepted on Nature Communications, Congratulations to Xiaokang and coauthors! Read the story here.