The Zhao research group is part of the School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. Our research theme is focused on mechanics and material chemistry using experimentation and multi-scale modeling approach. Research interests include:
- Deformation, stress, plasticity, fracture and mass transport.
- Multiscale modeling, first-principles, molecular dynamics simulations, and finite element modeling.
- In-situ experiments.
- Mechanics of redox active materials - Li-ion batteries, Na-ion batteries, all-solid-state batteries.
- Mechanics of polymeric materials - organic electrochromics, superelastic organic semiconductors.
We are grateful for the sponsorship of College of Engineering at Purdue University, ASME, 3M, NSF, and ONR.
Recent publications (more...)
Recent news (more...)
- Sameep Shah joins us as a PhD student, welcome aboard !
- Xiaokang's paper on "Mechanical Breathing in Organic Electrochromics" is accepted on Nature Communications, Congratulations to Xiaokang and coauthors! Read the story here.
- Dr. Zhao receives the 2019 EnSM Young Scientist Award. The award is to recognize the contribution of our group work to the electro-chemo-mechanics in energy storage materials, Congratulations!
- Rong's paper on structural disintegration of NMC cathode is among the highly cited article of Experimental Mechanics. This is the third paper of Rong and Luize listed among the most/highly cited articles of the journal, well done!
- Jiaxiu joins us as a PhD student, Dongliang joins us as a master student, welcome! Nikhil passed the area exam and becomes a PhD candidate, Congratulations!
- Luize receives the prestigious Perry Teaching Fellowship and will be an instructor of Statics, Congratulations to Luize! Our collaborative papers are published in Energy Storage Materials, Materials Today Nano, Nature Communications, Congratulations to all authors!
- Our AEM paper and JMPS paper are highlighted at Purdue News, check out the article on "Most detailed X-ray image of batteries yet to reveal why they still aren’t good enough". Reports from SSRL, VT, and ESRF are online too!
- Rong's paper on heterogeneous damage in electrodes is accepted in JMPS, Congratulations to Rong and our collaborators! Dr. Zhao gave a seminar in Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials, Thanks Prof. Arnold for the host and invitation! Marcus and Rebecca join us as veteran/cadet interns for summer, welcome! Luize receives the Best Paper Award from over 80 student abstracts in the 235th ECS meeting in Dallas, Congratulations to Luize!
- Dr. Zhao gave a seminar in the department of mechanical engineering at University of Michigan, Thanks Prof. Lu for the invitation and host! Dr. Zhao is selected to receive the Summer Faculty Fellowship in Europe - a great opportunity to bridge relationships with European partners. Dr. Zhao visited MSE at Boise State University and gave an invited talk for the IEEE WMED, Thanks Prof. Xiong for the host and invitation! Our team work with Dr. Liu and Prof. Lin on heterogeneous degradation in batteries is accepted in Advanced Energy Materials, Congratulations to Rong and the team! Two of our papers are among the most cited articles of EML, well done!
- Our collaborative papers are accepted in Advanced Functional Materials and Joule, Congratulations to the team! Nikhil receives the Estus H. and Vashti L. Magoon Award for Excellence in Teaching from the College of Engineering, Congratulations to Nikhil! Dr. Zhao visited UCSD MAE and gave a seminar, Thanks Prof. Cai for the host!
- Hong made a great presentation and passed the prelim exam. Congratulations to Hong! Xianyang passes the area exams and becomes a PhD candidate, Congratulations to Xianyang!
- Shan Hu joins us as a visiting scholar/postdoc, Sameep Shah joins us as a thesis master, welcome the new forces! Dr. Zhao gave a seminar at GIT, Thanks Prof. McDowell for the invitation and host.