Electrical and Thermal Co-Design for 3D Heterogeneous Integration of High Performance Oxide Semiconductor Devices
|Interdisciplinary Areas:||Micro-, Nano-, and Quantum Engineering
This research will focus on electrical and thermal co-design of the material, device and circuitry issues in high performance oxide semiconductor devices by materials and electrical and thermal engineering, characterization, and modeling. The newly developed high-performance atomically thin In2O3 oxide semiconductor devices show ultrahigh drain current as high as 10 mA/µm, which is the highest in all field-effect transistors. However, self-heating effects from the ultrahigh drain current in these devices provide degradation pathways and raise reliability-aware issues. We will develop an integrated, electrical and thermal co-design approach from thermal materials properties to end-to-end transistor and circuit-level characterization and modeling to identify/quantify time, voltage, temperature, and thermal interface dependencies on these nm-scale oxide semiconductor transistors. We will have close collaborations with industry on the electrical and thermal codesign on integrated circuits at a system level. This project will provide a reliable and unprecedented solution to resolve the self-heating effect on In2O3 devices and circuitry.
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Material Science, or relevant background for electrical and/or thermal transport and/or physics, in semiconductor materials and devices.
Peide P. Ye, email@example.com, Richard J. and Mary Jo Schwartz Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, https://engineering.purdue.edu/~yep/
Xianfan Xu, firstname.lastname@example.org, James J. and Carol L. Shuttleworth Professor of Mechanical Engineering, https://engineering.purdue.edu/NanoLab/
• Liao, P.-Y., et al., 2023, Transient Thermal and Electrical Co-Optimization of BEOL Top-Gated ALD In2O3 FETs Toward Monolithic 3-D Integration, IEEE Trans. Elect. Dev., 70, 2052.
• Liao, P.-Y. et al., 2023, Alleviation of Self-Heating Effect in Top-Gated Ultrathin In2O3 FETs Using a Thermal Adhesion Layer, IEEE Trans. Elect. Dev., 70, 113.
• Luo, Z., Tian, J., Huang, S., Srinivasan, M., Maassen, J., Chen, Y.P., and Xu, X., 2018, "Large Enhancement of Thermal Conductivity and Lorentz Number in Topological Insulator Thin Films", ACS Nano, DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.7b06430
• Salihoglu, H., Iyer, V., Taniguchi, T., Watanabe, K., Ye, P., and Xu, X., 2019, "Energy Transport by Radiation in Hyperbolic Material Comparable to Conduction". Adv. Funct. Mater., DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201905830
• Niu, C., Huang, S., Ghosh, N., Tan, P., Wang, M., Wu, W., Xu, X., and Ye, P. D., 2023, "Tunable Circular Photogalvanic and Photovoltaic Effect in 2D Tellurium with Different Chirality ", Nano Lett, DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.3c00780