- "Multiscale Modeling: A Hierarchical Approach to Investigate Dynamic
Failure of Advanced Materials", Computational Science &
Seminar Series, Purdue University. Oct. 20, 1999.
- “Computational Modeling for Bridging Size Scales in the Failure of
Solids”, Material & Processes Lab, GM Research and Development.
- “Applications of Cohesive Models: From Atoms to Autos”, School of
Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University. Sept. 29, 2003.
- “Understanding Failure of Advanced Materials and Their
Key Enabler for Designing Future Vehicles”, School of Materials
Engineering, Purdue University. Dec. 1, 2006.
- “Recent Progress and Current Challenges in Cohesive Zone Models Applied
to the Failure of Automotive Structures”, Department of Mechanical
Engineering, University of South Carolina. Aug. 8th, 2007.
- “Lessons learned from biomineralized marine organisms applied to the
design of biomimetic materials”, Solid Mechanics @ Purdue, July, 2010
- “Synergetic role of ultrastructure geometry and size scale in biomineralized and biomimetic materials”, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), April 2012.
- “Mechanical Investigation of Naturally-Occurring High Performance Materials", Stanford University, March 2013.
- "Mechanical Investigation of Biomineralized and Biologically-Inspired Materials: Lessons learned from Nature", EAFIT University, Medellin, Colombia, May 19, 2014.
- “Biomimetic Materials”
short course (~10 hours), Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla,
Colombia, as part of the doctorate program, Monday, May 12 to
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- "Mechanical Investigation of Naturally-Ocurring High Performance Materials: Lessons learned from Nature", Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research, Purdue University, May 30, 2014.
- "Naturally-Occurring High Performance Materials: Lessons learned from Nature", Biomimicry Group, Arizona State University, March 26, 2014 (via teleconference)
"Investigación de la Mecánica de Materiales Compuestos Naturales y Biomiméticos de Alto Rendimiento", Universidad Nacional de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina, June 26, 2015.
Invited keynotes and plenary talks:
- “Lessons learned from biomineralized marine organisms applied to the design of biomimetic materials”,
the Advances in Cement-based Materials: Characterization, Processing,
Modeling and Sensing Meeting, July 11-13, 2010, Purdue University, West
Lafayette, IN. (Invited Talk)
- “Inelastic deformation, hardening and competing failure mechanisms in biomineralized materials”, the International Plasticity Conference, Puerto-Vallarta Mexico, January 3-8, 2011. (Invited Talk)
- “Biomimetic materials design: from biomineralized marine organisms to tough composite materials”, VIII Colombian Congress on Numerical Method, Medellin, Colombia, Aug. 10-12, 2011. (Plenary) [Link to the presentation]
modeling of the hierarchical structure of cellulose nanocrystals”, 48th
Annual Technical meeting of the Society of Engineering Science (SES
2011), Northwestern University on Oct. 12-14, 2011. (Keynote Speaker)
computational modeling for bridging size scales in the failure of
cementitious-based materials: Recent progress, current challenges, gaps
and opportunities”, NSF US-Poland workshop on Multiscale
Computational Modeling of Cementitious Materials (MCMoCM 2012) Cracow,
Poland, October 18-19, 2012 (Plenary)
- “Multiscale mechanics of natural fibers”,
NSF Pan American Advanced Studies Institute (PASI) on Polymer and
Composite Materials from Renewable Resources and Biorefinery: from
Chemistry to Applications, Costa Rica, August 2013. (Plenary)
- "Mechanical Investigation of Biomineralized and Biologically-Inspired Materials: Lessons learned from Nature",
I International Seminar on Biomaterials, Biomechanics and Regenerative
Medicine, RutaN, Medellin, Colombia, May 16, 2014. (Plenary)
- "Numerical Investigation of Naturally-Occurring High Performance Materials”, XXI Congress on Numerical Methods and their Applications (ENIEF 2014), 23th-26th September 2014. (Plenary)
- “Combined 3D
Printing and Multi-scale Modeling for the Development of Biomimetic
Materials”, Multiscale/3D Printing Cement Workshop, Vanderbilt
University, July 16-17, 2015.
- “Combined 3D Printing
and Multi-scale Modeling for the Development of High Performance
Biomimetic Materials”, I Seminar of Nanosurfaces: Advanced Processing
and Characterization – II International Seminar on Biomaterials,
Biomechanics and Regenerative Medicine, RutaN, Medellin,
Colombia, Sept. 16-18, 2015.
Symposium SM9: Structure and Properties of Biological Materials and
Bioinspired Designs 2016 MRS Spring Meeting and Exhibit, Phoenix,
Arizona March 28-1, 2016.