- "Multiscale Modeling: A Hierarchical Approach to Investigate Dynamic
Failure of Advanced Materials", Computational Science &
Seminar Series, Purdue University. Oct. 20, 1999.
- “Computational Modeling for Bridging Size Scales in the Failure of
Solids”, Material & Processes Lab, GM Research and Development.
- “Applications of Cohesive Models: From Atoms to Autos”, School of
Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University. Sept. 29, 2003.
- “Understanding Failure of Advanced Materials and Their
Key Enabler for Designing Future Vehicles”, School of Materials
Engineering, Purdue University. Dec. 1, 2006.
- “Recent Progress and Current Challenges in Cohesive Zone Models Applied
to the Failure of Automotive Structures”, Department of Mechanical
Engineering, University of South Carolina. Aug. 8th, 2007.
- “Lessons learned from biomineralized marine organisms applied to the
design of biomimetic materials”, Solid Mechanics @ Purdue University, July, 2010
- “Synergetic role of ultrastructure geometry and size scale in biomineralized and biomimetic materials”, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), April 2012.
- “Mechanical Investigation of Naturally-Occurring High Performance Materials", Stanford University, March 2013.
- "Mechanical Investigation of Biomineralized and Biologically-Inspired Materials: Lessons learned from Nature", EAFIT University, Medellin, Colombia, May 19, 2014.
- “Biomimetic Materials”
short course (~10 hours), Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla,
Colombia, as part of the doctorate program, Monday, May 12 to
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- "Mechanical Investigation of Naturally-Ocurring High Performance Materials: Lessons learned from Nature", Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research, Purdue University, May 30, 2014.
- "Naturally-Occurring High Performance Materials: Lessons learned from Nature", Biomimicry Group, Arizona State University, March 26, 2014 (via teleconference)
"Investigación de la Mecánica de Materiales Compuestos Naturales y Biomiméticos de Alto Rendimiento", Universidad Nacional de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina, June 26, 2015.
- Bio-Inspired Materials: Lessons Learned from Nature, Seminar series for SURF Program, Purdue University, June 18 2015. [Available on line- https://nanohub.org/resources/22777]
“Combined 3D Printing and Multi-scale Modeling for the Development of High Performance Biomimetic Materials”, American Concrete Institute (ACI) Headquarter, Famington Hills, Oct. 9, 2015.
“Nanocellulose-based Composites and Bio-inspired Materials”, Smart Materials Workshop, Kent State University, Kent, OH, April 13th, 2016.
“Designing Architectured Materials” Seminar series for SURF Program, Purdue University, June 14 2016.
inner architecture of high-performance natural materials: a few
interesting problems in mechanics”, Jacobs School of Engineering, University of California San Diego (UCSD), San Diego, CA., Oct. 17, 2016.
“Engineering 2.0: Millions of years of trial and error making high-performance materials”, Featured Speaker, Science on Tap Lafayette, Lafayette, IN, Oct. 27, 2016.
materials inspired by Nature: a few interesting problems in mechanics”,
William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Nov. 2, 2016.
“Engineering vs. Natural Materials”, Grupo de Biotecnología,Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin Colombia (Via teleconference), Nov. 7, 2016.
“Architectured materials inspired by Nature: a few interesting problems in mechanics”, Invited Seminar, School of Engineering, Brown University, Providence, RI, Nov. 21, 2016.
naturally occurring materials: The role of architecture", Invited MSE
Seminar, School of Materials Engineering, Purdue University,
March 24, 2017 . [Link
Research: A practical Guide to Have Cooperative and Constructive
Argumentative Dialogue", Invited Talk, Network for Computational
Nanotechnology/SURF program, June 14, 2017 [Available on line: https://nanohub.org/resources/26764
Invited keynotes and plenary talks:
- “Lessons learned from biomineralized marine organisms applied to the design of biomimetic materials”,
the Advances in Cement-based Materials: Characterization, Processing,
Modeling and Sensing Meeting, July 11-13, 2010, Purdue University, West
Lafayette, IN. (Invited Talk)
- “Inelastic deformation, hardening and competing failure mechanisms in biomineralized materials”, the International Plasticity Conference, Puerto-Vallarta Mexico, January 3-8, 2011. (Invited Talk)
- “Biomimetic materials design: from biomineralized marine organisms to tough composite materials”, VIII Colombian Congress on Numerical Method, Medellin, Colombia, Aug. 10-12, 2011. (Plenary) [Link to the presentation]
modeling of the hierarchical structure of cellulose nanocrystals”, 48th
Annual Technical meeting of the Society of Engineering Science (SES
2011), Northwestern University on Oct. 12-14, 2011. (Keynote Speaker)
computational modeling for bridging size scales in the failure of
cementitious-based materials: Recent progress, current challenges, gaps
and opportunities”, NSF US-Poland workshop on Multiscale
Computational Modeling of Cementitious Materials (MCMoCM 2012) Cracow,
Poland, October 18-19, 2012 (Plenary)
- “Multiscale mechanics of natural fibers”,
NSF Pan American Advanced Studies Institute (PASI) on Polymer and
Composite Materials from Renewable Resources and Biorefinery: from
Chemistry to Applications, Costa Rica, August 2013. (Plenary)
- "Mechanical Investigation of Biomineralized and Biologically-Inspired Materials: Lessons learned from Nature",
I International Seminar on Biomaterials, Biomechanics and Regenerative
Medicine, RutaN, Medellin, Colombia, May 16, 2014. (Plenary)
- "Numerical Investigation of Naturally-Occurring High Performance Materials”, XXI Congress on Numerical Methods and their Applications (ENIEF 2014), 23th-26th September 2014. (Plenary)
- “Combined 3D
Printing and Multi-scale Modeling for the Development of Biomimetic
Materials”, Multiscale/3D Printing Cement Workshop, Vanderbilt
University, July 16-17, 2015.
- “Combined 3D Printing
and Multi-scale Modeling for the Development of High Performance
Biomimetic Materials”, I Seminar of Nanosurfaces: Advanced Processing
and Characterization – II International Seminar on Biomaterials,
Biomechanics and Regenerative Medicine, RutaN, Medellin,
Colombia, Sept. 16-18, 2015.
- Mechanical investigation of growing twisting
cracks in naturally-occurring Bouligand structures,
Symposium SM9: Structure and Properties of Biological Materials and
Bioinspired Designs 2016 MRS Spring Meeting and Exhibit, Phoenix,
Arizona March 28-1, 2016.
- P. Zavattieri,
Invited Plenary, 1st International Meeting on the Advanced Applications
of Natural Biomaterials, Universidad de Antioquia, sede Rio Negro,
Colombia, Sept. 27-30, 2016
- D. Restrepo, Y. Zhang,
Nilesh D. Mankame and Pablo D. Zavattieri, “Phase transforming cellular
materials: Design, fabrication and characterization”, Invited Talk in
the Symposium “Architectured Metamaterials” Society of Engineering
Science, 53rd Annual Technical Meeting, University of Maryland (UMD)
during 2-5 October 2016.
- N. Suksangpanya, N.
Guarin-Zapata, D. Kisailus, P. Zavattieri “Lessons Learned from the
Mighty Dactyl Club of the Mantis Shrimp”, Invited Talk at the
Biological Materials Science (BMS) Symposium at 2017 TMS Annual Meeting
& Exhibition in San Diego, CA (February 26 - March 2), 2017
- D. Restrepo. Y.
Zhang, N. Mankame, P. Zavattieri, “Bioinspired Phase Transforming
Cellular Materials”, (Advanced Biomaterials session), 3rd Pan American
Materials Congress San Diego, CA (February 26 - March 2), 2017.
- Twisting cracks and
other competing mechanisms in biomineralized Bouligand structures 12th
Pacific Rim Conference on Ceramic and Glass Technology, Wlikoloa,
Hawaii, USA, May 21-26, 2017
- Architecture and clever mechanisms in naturally occurring materials, Hyber Symposium, Helsinki, Finland 2017 [Plenary]
- "Material Architecture Inspired by Nature: Harnesing the Role of Interfaces and Uncovering Hidden Possibilities", NSF Workshop on Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing) For Civil Infrastructure Design and Construction, July 13, 2017.