50 Years of Materials Engineering
The first metallurgical course was offered at Purdue in 1923 by the School of Chemical Engineering. By 1935, metallurgy had been firmly embraced as a discipline in its own right and was formally recognized when the School of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering was founded. Independence came in 1959, when the School of Metallurgical Engineering was born. We settled on our current name as the School of Materials Engineering in 1973.