A limited number of graduate courses taken at another university may be transferred to a BME graduate student's plan of study at Purdue University provided that the courses are of sufficient graduate standing to replace similar Purdue courses.
Before completing his/her Plan of Study, a student is required to submit a petition (endorsed by their major professor) to the BME Graduate Office. Students submitting a petition must follow the instructions and use the template found on the linked petition form and submit to the BME Graduate Program Coordinator. The Graduate Program Coordinator will review the petition to ensure the proposal meets requirements of the Purdue Graduate School. The petition should be submitted during the first year.
MSBME Degree Plan of StudyUp to 3 credits graduate coursework beyond the BS degree and which has not been applied to a subsequent degree may be transferred from another university.
PhD Degree Plan of Study with previous MS degreeUp to 12 credits graduate coursework from a single previous MS degree may be transferred from another university.
PhD Degree Plan of Study without previous MS degree
Up to 12 credits graduate coursework beyond the BS degree and which has not been applied to a subsequent degree may be transferred from another university.
Courses that will not transfer to a BME Plan of Study
- 500 or 600-level courses that fulfilled B.S. requirements of a student.
- Lower level courses (e.g., 400-level or equivalent) even if they were in biological or related subjects;
- Seminar courses;
- Project or independent study courses.
Additional Transfer Course Parameters
- Transfer courses must be 3 credits each with grades of B- or better.
- Both 600-level courses required for the BME and IBSC PhD degrees must be taken at Purdue.
- Both required BME core competency courses should be taken through the Weldon School of BME.