[BNC-grads-list] Today's Coffee Hour in Birck Atrium

Aveek Dutta dutta6 at purdue.edu
Fri Jan 27 14:41:03 EST 2017

Dear all,

We are resuming our coffee hour sessions from today. Please join us in the Birck Atrium at 3:30pm. Today's presentation details:

Presenter: Enas Sakr

Title: Spectral and angular-selective thermal emission from gallium-doped zinc oxide thin film structures

Abstract: Constraining thermal emission to targeted directions and optical wavelengths can potentially improve a broad range of applications, including lighting and thermophotovoltaics. In this work, we demonstrate both types of control using a gallium-doped zinc oxide thin film, a high contrast grating and an omnidirectional dielectric mirror. A factor of 20 improvement in performance for a thermophotovoltaic application can be achieved over a typical blackbody emitter by combining a 43% increase in view factor and a 14x enhancement in frequency selectivity, assuming a Si PV converter five widths away from the same width emitter in 2D at 1573 K.

Regards,

Aveek Dutta

Graduate Research Assistant