[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Coral Reservation Abuse - ACTION REQUESTED - on behalf of John Weaver

Dmitri N. Zakharov zakharov at purdue.edu
Sat Aug 28 00:02:38 EDT 2010

By "3-5 events" Eric means - you need 3 occasions  to identify those
users 4th and 5th you talk to them then if they do not understand -
they loose their privilege, right Eric?
So if those users have not been talked to yet, it is probably a good
idea to start with. In my experience they are all good kids. One
conversation with careful explanation that it is a "privilege and not
a right to use an equipment" is usually enough. I do not recall that
Eric and I had to revoke somebody's privileges.

In addition, it could be included in policy and procedure to let
someone else use an equipment on first come first served basis if user
who reserved the equipment does not show up within,for example, 15min
since the beginning of the reservation. However it might be difficult
to implement for clean room in particular.

Also running electron microscopy facility equipment mailing lists
proved to be extremely helpful. Users notify each other (usually) if
they cancel their reservation. This works even in case they are not
able to access coral out of campus for some reason but e-mail always
works.

All the best,
Dmitri

Dmitri N. Zakharov, Ph.D.