225 S. University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2093
Phone: (765) 494-1214
Fax: (765) 496-1115
Air Emissions Research
A. Summary of Projects
B. List of Purdue Papers on Emissions
C. Journal Articles
- Methane and Carbon Dioxide Emission from Two Pig Finishing Barns (Ni, Heber, Lim, Tao, Schmidt) 2008.
- Field Tests of a Particulate Impaction Curtain on Emissions from a High-Rise Layer Barn (Lim, Sun, Ni, et al.). 2007.
- Quality Assured Measurements of Animal Building Emissions: Particulate Matter Concentrations (Heber, Lim, Ni, et al.). 2006.
- Quality Assured Measurements of Animal Building Emissions: Gas Concentrations (Heber, Ni, Lim, et al.). 2006.
- Effects of Room Ozonation on Air Quality and Pig Performance (Elenbaas, Zhao, et al.) 2005.
- Comparison of Direct vs. Indirect Ventilation Rate Determinations in Layer Barns using Manure Belts (Li, Xin, Liang, Gates, Wheeler, Heber). 2005.
- Influences on Air Quality and Odor from Mechanically Ventilated Swine Finishing Buildings in Illinois (Miller, Maghirang, Riskowski, Heber, et al.). 2004.
- Effects of Manure Removal Strategies on Odor and Gas Emission from Swine Finishing (Lim, Heber, Ni, Kendall, Richert). 2004.
- Odor Management in Swine Finishing Operations: Cost Effectiveness (Huang, Miller, et al.). 2004.
- A Review of Ammonia Emissions from Confined Swine Feeding Operations (Arogo, Westerman, Heber). 2003.
- Odor and Gas Release from Anaerobic Treatment Lagoons for Swine Manure (Lim, Heber, Ni, et al.). 2003.
- Effects of High-Oil Corn and Soybean Oil Additives on Dustiness of Ground Corn and Feed (Heber). 2002.
- Hydrogen Sulphide Emission from Two Large Pig-Finishing Buildings with Long-Term High-Frequency Measurements (Ni, Heber, Lim, et al.). 2002.
- Summertime Concentrations and Emissions of Hydrogen Sulfide at a Mechanically Ventilated Swine Finishing Building (Ni, Heber, Diehl, et al.). 2002.
- Characteristics of Hydrogen Sulphide Concentrations in Mechanically Ventilated Swine Buildings (Ni, Heber, Diehl, et al.). 2002.
- Odor Flux Measurements at a Facultative Swine Lagoon Stratified by Surface Aeration (Heber, Ni, Lim). 2002.
- Air Quality and Emission Measurement Methodology at Swine Finishing Buildings (Heber, Ni, Haymore, Duggirala, Keener). 2001.
- Characteristics and Emission Rates of Odor from Commercial Swine Nurseries (Lim, Heber, Ni, Sutton, Kelly). 2001.
- Effect of a Manure Additive on Ammonia Emission from Swine Finishing Buildings (Heber, Ni, Lim, et al.). 2000.
- Ammonia Emission from a Large Mechanically-Ventilated Swine Building during Warm Weather (Ni, Heber, Lim, et al.). 2000.
- Ammonia, Hydrogen Sulphide and Carbon Dioxide Release from Pig Manure in Under-Floor Deep Pits (Ni, Heber, Diehl, Lim). 2000.
- Comparison Between Low-End Discrete and High-End Continuous Measurements of Air Quality in Swine Buildings (Parbst, Keener, Heber, Ni). 2000.
- Distribution and Quantification of Bioaerosols in Poultry-Slaughtering Plants (Lutgring, Linton, Zimmerman, Peugh, Heber). 1997.
- Air Patterns and Turbulence in an Experimental Livestock Building (Heber, Boon, Peugh). 1996.
- Influence of Environmental Factors on Concentration and Inorganic Content of Aerial Dust in Swine Finishing Buildings (Heber, Stroik, Nelssen, Nichols). 1988.
- Size Distribution and Identification of Aerial Dust Particles in Swine Finishing Buildings (Heber, Stroik, Faubion, Willard). 1988.
- Effects of Additives on Aerodynamic Segregation of Dust from Swine Feed (Heber, Martin). 1988.
D. Conference Papers
- Air Emissions from Two Swine Finishing Building with Flushing: Ammonia Characteristics (Heber, Tao, Ni, Lim, Schmidt) (PowerPoint) (pdf). 2005.
- A Low-Cost Technique to Monitor Ventilation Fan Operation at Animal Buildings (Ni, Heber, Lim, Diehl). 2005.
- Control of Air Emissions from Swine Finishing Buildings Flushed with Recycled Lagoon Effluent (Heber, Lim, Tao, Ni). 2004.
- Air Quality Measurements at a Laying Hen House: Ammonia Concentrations and Emissions (Lim, Heber, Ni). 2004.
- Air Quality Measurements at a Laying Hen House: Experimental Methods (Heber, Ni, Lim) (PowerPoint). 2003.
- Air Quality Measurements at a Laying Hen House: Particulate Matter Concentrations and Emissions (PowerPoint) (Lim, Heber, Ni, et al.). 2003.
- Air Quality Measurements at a Laying Hen House: Odor and Hydrogen Sulfide Emissions (Lim, Heber, Ni). 2003.
- Quality Assured Measurements of Animal Building Emissions: Part 1. Gas Concentrations (Heber, Ni, Lim, Tao, et al.). (PowerPoint). 2002.
- Quality Assured Measurements of Animal Building Emissions: Part 2. Particulate Matter Concentrations (Heber, Lim, et al.). 2002.
- Sampling and Measurement of Ammonia Concentration at Animal Facilities - A Review (Ni, Heber). 2001.
- Mechanism of Gas Release from Liquid Swine Wastes (Ni, Heber, Kelly, Sutton). 2001.
- " What's Next After Signing the U. S. EPA's Air Quality Compliance Consent Agreement & How Will the Study Determine Air Emission from Animal Facilities?" Indiana-Ohio Farm Bureau Livestock Trends & Issues Conference, Ft. Wayne, IN, September 6, 2005. (pdf)
- Seminar presented at the Ag Dean's Team Award Ceremony on May 10, 2005. "Agricultural Air Quality: Challenges and Opportunities."
- Research, Progress and Regulatory Programs for Odor and Air Quality from Intensive Livestock and Feeding Operations in America. Seminar to Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, Technion - IIT, Jaifa, Israel, November 8, 2004. (PowerPoint) (pdf)
- " Layer Facility Emissions," (pdf) Texas Commercial Egg Clinic, Bryan, TX, May 13, 2004.
- Envir04, Sydney, Australia
- - Intensive Livestock Odour Workshop, (narration) March 28, 2004.
- - Open Path Methods, March 30, 2004.
- Pan Pacific Pork Expo (PowerPoint) (Heber), March 18, 2004.
- NRCS Building Emissions Measurements, NRCS Air Quality Group, November 18, 2003.
- Building Emission Measurement Solutions (Heber). 2003.
- Building Emission Measurement Part A, Part B (Heber). 2003.
- Livestock Building Emissions Measurement Public Statements (Heber). 2003.
- How to Conduct the Air Monitoring Study: Practical and Scientific Issues (Heber)(PowerPoint). 2003.
- A Buoyant Convective Flux Chamber for Measuring Liquid Surface Emissions (Heber, Lim, Ni, Fakhoury). 2000.