School of Industrial Engineering
315 N. Grant Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2023
Email: mventresca (at) purdue (dot) edu
Office: Grissom 292
My research falls in the general area of computational science and engineering, which focuses on the design, analysis and application of computational and mathematical approaches for solving challenging real-world problems, as well as for understanding real and artificial complex systems. I have a genuine interest in different application domains and scientific endeavors, however, most projects I gravitate towards fall under at least one of:
- Approximation algorithms, which aim to efficiently solve difficult optimization problems, while also providing guarantees on solution quality and run-time performance.
- Automated design and inference, whereby robust algorithms are developed for the purpose of automatically designing complex systems, or to ascertain the underlying principles or rules of a given system.
- Biomedical science and operations research, which seeks to deepen our understanding of biological processes with the intention of enhancing diagnosis and treatment capabilities.
- Complexity engineering, where concepts from complexity science such as emergence and self-organization are applied to the design of complex systems.
- Discrete optimization, which is concerned with problems where we must select the best solution from a finite number of feasible solutions; encompassing areas such as linear programming, graph theory, scheduling and routing.
- Machine learning, which leverages computational power to learn from large and/or complex data sets in order to develop intelligent systems.
- Nature-inspired computation, which seeks to develop algorithms based on concepts such as evolution and swarming intelligence to solve complex real-world problems.
- Network science, which focuses on understanding, controlling and predicting the structure and function of interconnected systems as well as processes acting upon them.
To find out more about my research please see my list of publications.