msepostdoc-list Statement regarding Purdue police use of excessive force

Bahr, David F dfbahr at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 18 16:39:31 EST 2022

Dear Purdue MSE students,

It’s been a little over a week since a video showing a physical altercation between a Purdue police officer and Adonis Tuggle, a Black student at Purdue, was broadly distributed via social media and a variety of news outlets.  While we all continue to wait for the promised swift and thorough investigation, I believe it is important to remind everyone that our MSE community aspires to be a welcoming, inclusive environment that allows everyone to reach their full potential.  We’re a community made of up individuals, we have both common and disparate aspects, and we should respect and celebrate our differences as well as our similarities.

Any reminders, particularly local ones, that our experiences in being able to work and live in a safe environment are not only not equal, but not equitable, should serve to further accelerate our need to individually and collectively take action to move us forward from where we are now.  Events like this should not be the only time we remind one another that mutual respect, tolerance, and empathy are important. But I also recognize that events that yet again highlight the disparity that our Black students and other students of color experience merits re-dedication to our goals of creating an equitable experience.

To all the MSE students, but particularly our Black students and other students of color, if you need to talk about your concerns please know that there are many ways to connect and discuss this in a safe environment.  From myself, Prof. Maria Okuniewski (head of our School’s DEI committee), your academic advisor, and your faculty advisor we’re here to help if we can, and if we aren’t sure how to address a given situation we’ll help connect you to resources on campus.  For instance, Purdue CAPS (https://www.purdue.edu/caps/) provides confidential support services and will be hosting virtual drop in discussions (information is on their website), and a crisis line is available 24/7 at (765) 494-6995.  Next week The Black Cultural Center will be hosting a Black Healing Conversation on Monday 2/21/22 @ 6:30pm.

Please take this as an offer to help, a reminder of our School’s goals, and an acknowledgement that there is still much work to be done.

Dave Bahr

Head and Professor

School of Materials Engineering, Purdue University