msepostdoc-list MSE Safety & Equipment Newsletter for February 2022

Erk, Kendra A erk at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 18 15:41:49 EST 2022

To view this newsletter as a PDF, visit https://engineering.purdue.edu/Intranet/Groups/Schools/MSE/Facilities/SafetyNewsletters/February-2022.pdf

MSE Safety & Equipment Newsletter for February 2022

**** Important Upcoming Dates ****

  *   February 18: All indemnification IMI, ARMS, and MSEE ISP self-audits due to Jenni Fifer
  *   February 24: PUMA Lab "Clean-up" Day at 4pm
  *   Early March: REM lab inspections of ARMS, MSEE, and IMI as part of the annual indemnification process
  *   March 28: Faculty/staff safety "refresher" training during faculty meeting
**** Annual Indemnification Process Continues in March for ARMS, MSEE, and IMI ****
As part of our Integrated Safety Plan lab certification with REM, each year we conduct a guided "self-audit" of the safety training procedures, hazards, and hygiene of all lab spaces that MSE personnel utilize at Purdue. Thank you to everyone for recently completing the self-audit checklist<https://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem/documents/forms/ispcheck.pdf>. Next, REM will inspect select lab spaces in ARMS, MSEE, and IMI in early March. To prepare for these inspections, please be proactive in identifying/abating any lingering lab safety and hygiene issues in the lab space where you most frequently work. Jenni will circulate the inspection results to the relevant laboratory supervisors, who will then have until March 23rd to address the items of concern in their lab space and return the signed IOC (Items of Concern) abatement report to Jenni.

**** New Face Mask Policy ****
Starting today<https://protect.purdue.edu/updates/purdue-to-make-masks-optional-in-many-indoor-spaces/>, face masks are now optional on campus except for instructional, research, and healthcare settings. This means that you must continue to wear a face mask wherever research activities are performed (e.g., in laboratory spaces) or where courses are taught (e.g., classrooms and teaching labs). Masks are optional for all other spaces, including private and public offices, shared offices and cubicles, hallways, conference rooms, restrooms, and other common areas and public spaces. Purdue continues to encourage all Boilermakers to get vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 by scheduling an appointment online<https://pphccovidvaccine.timetap.com/#/>. Purdue's COVID-19 vaccine clinic<https://protect.purdue.edu/vaccine-information/#Clinic> is open 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and is located on the northwest side of the Co-Rec.

**** Updates from PUMA Safety Committee ****
PUMA's next "Lab Clean-Up Day" will take place on Thursday, Feb. 24th at 4 pm. Email Ethan Mann<mailto:mann78 at purdue.edu> to sign up. This event is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. And there will be yummy treats from Insomina Cookies.

**** New Lab-Support Worker ****
Welcome to Katie Miller, our new lab support student worker. Katie is a Junior in MET. She is from Rushville, Indiana and enjoys spending time with friends and family, listening to music/podcasts, and cooking in her free time. Katie will be helping MSE restock lab supplies, prepare for lab inspection, and improve our equipment safety. Welcome to the MSE team, Katie!

**** ISP Grad/Post-Doc Survey Results ****
Every spring, MSE grad students and post-docs are surveyed in preparation for the Integrated Safety Plan inspection. This survey not only helps MSE track where our researchers are but provides an opportunity for the researchers to tell us how safe they feel our labs are and where we can improve as a department. Based on this survey, MSE researchers work in 18 different buildings as well as off-campus (see image). Of these 18 buildings, we have MSE PIs in 7 of them. Feedback from this survey revealed that the majority of our MSE researchers feel very safe in our labs but there are always opportunities for improvement. In particular, MSE researchers believe that our labs could benefit from the following:

  *   Decreasing clutter and increasing cleaning accountability
  *   Better organization and documentation in lab
  *   Clearer COVID-19 office safety rules and better enforcement
  *   Improved waste management procedures, including faster pick-up
Complete results from the survey can be found in the February Safety Committee Minutes (intranet link<https://engineering.purdue.edu/Intranet/Groups/Schools/MSE/MSECommittees/Safety/MSESafetyCmtMeetingMinutes/MSE-Safety-Committee-February-8-2022-minutes.pdf>). Thank you to everyone who completed the survey - we greatly value your feedback!

[cid:image003.png at 01D824DE.0A440840]

**** Equipment Reporting Reminder ****
If you encounter a piece of broken equipment, or have any questions about a specific piece of equipment, you should contact a member of the MSE Technical Staff:

  *   For sample prep (i.e., saws, grinding wheels) equipment: Tim VanMeter<mailto:tcvanmet at purdue.edu>
  *   For mechanical testing equipment and general use equipment checklist suggestions: Jenni Fifer<mailto:fiferj at purdue.edu>
  *   For characterization equipment and iLab: Talukder Alam<mailto:alam18 at purdue.edu>
**** Important Links and Contact Information ****

  *   Protect Purdue<https://protect.purdue.edu/>: COVID-19 resources and reporting
  *   IN Dept. of Health COVID-19 Resources and Stats<https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/>
  *   For general safety questions, concerns, and lab access issues: mse-safety at purdue.edu<mailto:mse-safety at purdue.edu> or speak directly to MSE Safety Officer Jenni Fifer<mailto:fiferj at purdue.edu> (ARMS 2207)
  *   For iLab equipment training and issues: Talukder Alam<mailto:alam18 at purdue.edu> (ARMS 2207)
  *   Equipment/Safety/Consumables Reporting Form<https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7QcGyO9IVMwWRPD?_ga=2.245543812.1817797620.1567020868-632661468.1565031036>
  *   Purdue REM Researcher's Guide<https://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem/laboratory/researchers.html#cs2>
  *   ARMS general safety information<https://engineering.purdue.edu/Intranet/Groups/Facilities/ArmstrongHall>
  *   Purdue Police Non-Emergency: (765) 494-8221
  *   Purdue Fire Non-Emergency: (765) 494-6919
  *   Purdue REM Non-Emergency: (765) 494-6371
  *   For all emergencies, dial 911.

Thanks for reading everyone!  Stay warm!
Prof. Erk and the MSE Safety Committee

Kendra A. Erk
Associate Professor of Materials Engineering
Purdue University
soft-material-mechanics.squarespace.com