msepostdoc-list MSE Safety Training Clarifications

Jennifer Louise Fifer fiferj at purdue.edu
Wed Sep 23 16:12:10 EDT 2020

Dear MSE Students and Post-docs,

The purpose of this email is to hopeful clarify our current safety training requirements. If you have already completed all your safety training, you may disregard this email.

Be sure to complete the following general safety requirements (Note: If you have completed these in the past, you do not need to redo them again. MSE has all safety documents that were submitted  last year in Blackboard on file):

·       MSE Specific Safety Quiz

o   Review the PPT and take the quiz

§  Note: This quiz is getting upgraded to an updated version soon after input from students regarding potential improvements. It does not matter which version you complete. Either version completes this requirement.

o   You can miss 1 question

o   Available in the MSE Lab Safety  course on Brightspace

·       CHP (Lab Safety Fundamentals in VividLearning)

o   When you log into VividLearning, you will see many training options available. You only need to complete the course entitled "Lab Safety Fundamentals".

o   Upload your ORIGINAL certificate of completion to Brightspace.

o   Available in the MSE Lab Safety  course on Brightspace

Other Safety Requirements:

·       COVID-19 Prevention Training (Please be aware that these may continue to change at the university request)

o   Watch the 10 min. video from REM in the training module.

o   Read through the COVID-19 Prevention SOPs for each lab you wish to use.

o   Meet virtually with the PI (lab supervisor) of each lab you will use to discuss expectations.

o   Sign virtually for your SOPs in Brightspace under "COVID-19 SOP Survey".

o   Sign the signature page of the physical SOP the first time you enter each lab.

§  Protect Purdue now requires this step as of a couple weeks ago. Please do not all use the same pen to sign.

o   Available in the MSE Lab Safety  course on Brightspace

·       Safety Refresher

o   You must attend at least one safety refresher per academic year.

§  What counts as a safety refresher?:

·       MSE 367, 390, 430, and 690 Safety Presentation led by Jenni Fifer

·       Research group safety meeting led by faculty.

o   A safety presentation specific to your research group or lab that contains a few mandatory slides from the MSE Safety Committee.

o   In this case, the faculty member will submit the safety refresher attendance record.

        *   This cannot be completed on Brightspace but you can check if you have already completed one on Brightspace. I check off completion in Brightspace about a week after each refresher.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if there are still questions.

Thank you,
Jenni Fifer
Safety & Mechanical Testing Lab Technician
Materials Science & Engineering
Purdue University
Phone: 765-494-9718
Email: fiferj at purdue.edu