[MSE-XRD-Admin] Using the MSE XRD Facility

You-Yeon Won yywon at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Oct 19 12:13:46 EDT 2012

Dear Director of the MSE XRD Facility,

I am writing to ask about using your XRD equipment.  We hope to obtain
crystallographic information about a metal nanoparticle sample (i.e.,
powder diffraction patterns) -- we are interested in probing the lattice
parameters in the length range of about 0.2 - 0.5 nm.  We would like to
know:

(1) How many grams of the sample would we need for this measurement?  And
in what form should we prepare the specimen (e.g., dry powder in a certain
sample holder, cast film, etc.)?

(2) For now, we would like to confirm that the XRD measurement would
provide useful information.  So I think it would be most appropriate for
us to send our specimen to your laboratory and have your staff to perform
the measurement for us (at this point it would not make sense to have my
student go through the training without knowing that this technique will
be useful).  I am wondering whether this would be possible.

I will appreciate it if you can let us know whom exactly we should speak
with.  Thank you in advance for your reply.