EWB-Purdue EWB Week 9

Shawn Edward Makulec smakulec at purdue.edu
Tue Mar 7 18:21:18 EST 2017

Hello everyone!

There's a lot going on with our chapter this week, including elections, and we have quite a few announcements:

Elections for officer roles are going to take place at our chapter meeting tomorrow!  Keep an eye out for an email with short paragraphs from all the candidates, as well as absentee voting info.  If you have been nominated for an officer position and plan on running but haven't sent me your paragraph yet, send it to me by tonight, or you will be ineligible to run.

If you haven't paid club dues yet, make sure to get in contact with Abde, our club treasurer.  (His email is

adhariwa at purdue.edu.)  Over the next week or so, he's going to be finding people who still owe dues.  Just a reminder, membership for this semester is $15.

Our friends in the GEP are hosting a breakfast with Dr. Dorothy Okello from 10:00-11:30 AM on Wednesday, 3/22.  Among her many accomplishments, Dr. Okello serves as Director of Innovation of the Resilient Africa Network, is president of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers (UIPE), has served as a Commissioner and an Interim Chairperson with the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC), and founded the Women of Uganda Network (WOUGNET) in 2000.  (Attached is a flyer with more details.)  The breakfast is open to all students, and should be quite interesting!

We do have a full-chapter meeting on 3/22, the Wednesday after spring break.  Corey Linkel will be joining us to speak to our chapter about his work with MedLend at a teaching hospital in Mbara, Uganda.  (I've been told he's in Uganda right now, and has promised to share photos and details of his trip.)  Don't miss it!

Doug Satoski and Pheobe Appel: you paid for T-shirts last semester but have not spoken to me about picking them up, and I have been unable to find contact info for you!  If you don't get your shirt, we may resell it, which wouldn't be fun.

As usual, here's a link to our team Google calendar:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=k6adasfa5cutbnmsfkr76qvcuk%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

A look at what's going on with our chapter for the next little while:

Tuesday 3/7:
Biogas team meeting: 6:00 - 7:00 PM, ARMS 1098C.

Wednesday, 3/8:
Water team meeting: 5:00 - 6:00 PM, ARMS 3115.

Chapter meeting: 6:00 - 7:00 PM, ARMS B098-2.  (Due to elections, our chapter meeting will run slightly longer than usual.  This is a full chapter meeting, but EPICS folks will need to leave us a little early for lab.)

Program Selection:  7:00 - 7:45 PM, ARMS B098-2.

EPICS Lab:  - 7:50 PM, ARMS 1098-C.

Officer's meeting: 8:00 PM, ARMS 1098-C.  Both newly-elected and outgoing officers will need to come to this meeting, so if you're running for a position, plan on coming!

Thursday, 3/9:
Events Committee meeting: 6:00 PM, Amelia's (ARMS basement).

3/11 - 3/19: SPRING BREAK!

Monday, 3/20:
Grants Committee meeting: 6:00 PM, Amelia's (ARMS basement).
Media Committee meeting: 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM, Amelia's (ARMS basement).
Future Directions team meeting: 7:00 PM, ARMS 1098-C.

Tuesday, 3/21:
Biogas team meeting: 6:00 - 7:00 PM, ARMS 1098C.

That's everything-- see you all at the chapter meeting this week!

Best,

Shawn Makulec