ESE-faculty-list Soil/Environmental Scientist - Ph.D. or equivalent in a discipline focusing on understanding the behavior and fate of organic molecules in natural soil-water environments.

Lee, Linda S lslee at purdue.edu
Thu Mar 21 17:03:55 EDT 2013

Minimum Requirement: Ph.D. or equivalent in a discipline focusing on understanding the behavior and fate of organic molecules in natural soil-water environments.

DuPont's Central Research and Development Division is seeking a Senior Soil/Environmental Scientist to support current and future research projects, especially in the area of seed coating and other agricultural applications at the Experimental Station in Wilmington, DE.

Job Description:

*         Collaborate with a multidisciplinary group of scientists within DuPont Central Research and Development, DuPont Crop Protection, and DuPont Pioneer to facilitate the discovery and development of novel agricultural systems

*         Design, conduct, interpret and report results of timeline driven studies designed to understand the release, plant uptake, soil mobility, and ultimate fate of agricultural chemicals in novel delivery systems and natural soil-water environments

*         Compile data generated within DuPont and through contract research organizations to characterize behavior of potential new agricultural products

*         Work closely with multidisciplinary scientists to develop novel delivery system for agricultural systems and use that knowledge to guide long-term research & development efforts

*         Effectively communicate technical learnings to diverse internal and external customers

Minimum Requirements:

*         Ph.D. or equivalent in a discipline focusing on understanding the behavior and fate of organic molecules in natural soil-water environments.  Area of expertise may include but is not limited to Environmental Chemistry, Soil Chemistry, Soil Physics, and Soil and Plant Science.

*         Experience in developing a mechanistic understanding in environmental and biological fate of agricultural chemicals in natural soil-water systems.

*         Proficient in experimental design and data analysis

*         Demonstrated ability to conduct laboratory/greenhouse/small-scale field studies with the intent to characterize behavior of anthropogenic organic molecules and their metabolic pathways in various matrices, focusing on soil and plant samples

*         Proven strong analytical instrumentation skills including HPLC and LC/MS

*         Demonstrated ability to prepare scientific publications and presentations on novel research

*         Excellent interpersonal and organization skills

*         Excellent communication skills

*         Overall, a self-starter, an excellent communicator with strong leadership skills who has demonstrated the ability to work well in teams

Desired Skills:

*         Thorough understanding of physico-chemical soil properties with extensive knowledge in sorption, desorption, degradation, an mobility of organic molecules in natural soil-water systems

*         Thorough understanding of various soil nutrient cycles in natural soil-water systems

*         Experience in nutrient delivery systems

*         Understanding of metabolic and degradation pathways of organic molecules in natural soil-water environments

Other information:
Over the 200 plus year rich history of DuPont, our science has not only met demands of the time, but has also helped define our future. With a growing world population and increased global demands on resources, we are focused on increasing food production, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, protecting lives and the environment, and meeting emerging market demand for value-added science based solutions. Scientists and engineers within CR&D work within multi-disciplinary teams alongside DuPont businesses to develop novel products and processes across a spectrum of applications in line with our 2015 corporate sustainability goals.

One key component of DuPont Science and Technology is the effort of Central Research and Development (CR&D), which employs more than 1,000 people at the Experimental Station and other research sites in Northern Delaware. CR&D is the foundation of our science efforts and has been responsible for most of our major product breakthroughs. CR&D provides both leveraged scientific services and long-term research activities to the corporation.

This position offers the chance to work on important issues aimed at improving production agriculture. As a member of a multidisciplinary team, the successful candidate will be challenged to identify useful projects, develop creative solutions, and drive them towards implementation. The candidate will supervise technical staff to assist with achieving project goals.

Excellent research facilities will be available for the successful applicant at the DuPont Experimental Station, a campus housing about 3500 scientists and engineers. In addition to colleagues in Central Research and Development, close interactions with researchers in DuPont Pioneer (located at the Experimental Station) and DuPont Crop Protection (located 15 miles from the Experimental Station) will be an integral part of the working environment. In addition, a full array of facilities including plant growth facilities, analytical services and other service labs will be available to support the candidate.

DuPont is a global Fortune 100 company, operating in 70 countries today. We are looking for people who have a passion for delivering innovative, sustainable solutions that meet our customer needs for a better, healthier, safer life. DuPont offers an exciting place to work where thousands of innovations are introduced every year. You will have
opportunities for growth through involvement in various dynamic industries from high-tech to high-performance; including agriculture, nutrition, electronics, communications, safety and protection, home and construction, transportation, and apparel.
At DuPont, you will find sustainability in our vision, our business and your future. If you want to work on the leading edge of your field and have a desire to make a difference, join DuPont and discover The miracles of science(tm).

DuPont is an equal opportunity employer and an E-Verify employer.