ESE-faculty-list ESE Graduate Applications, Fellowship Opportunities, and more.

Lee, Linda S lslee at purdue.edu
Thu Jan 6 10:09:14 EST 2011

I wanted to make you aware that are many applications are now uploaded with several reflecting excellent applicants. I have not started assigning reviewers yet, but please feel free to start investigating applicants that may fit well in your program (see below for site access and user details).

ESE has 3 fellowships (two ESE-Lynn PhDs that are 1+3; and one Andrews or Purdue Doctoral that are 2+2). In addition, we have opportunity to nominate students to the Graduate School for the Carver PhD, Knox MS, and the Ludwig Kruhe PhD fellowship (deadlines are EARLY so we need to get these nominations submitted by Jan 19, 2011) in addition to nominations through departments and colleges. Deadlines vary for the different opportunities so as soon as you indentify a student you want to nominate for a fellowship, email me of your interest right away. Then follow up with the nomination process detailed at the end of this email. There are also some fellowships available through the PCCRC (for PCCRC members only and with climate change relevance). The GS Fellows Manual provides the details on eligibility for the different fellowships.

We need to move quickly to identify the best students that best align with your programs. I will be doing my best to make you aware of particular applicants that align well with each of your programs as I review the folders. Some of you have already gotten emails of such from me.
Please let me know if you are unwilling to review at this time otherwise I will assume you are willing to do 3 to 6 reviews and they will usually be students who have listed you as faculty of interest.

 SharePoint Site: https://sp.itap.purdue.edu/gradschool/ese/default.aspx<https://owa.purdue.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=bf68bb03aacb4709a0548d06bb7ae35d&URL=https%3a%2f%2fsp.itap.purdue.edu%2fgradschool%2fese%2fdefault.aspx>

1.       When you Login you must put ONEPURDUE\ and then your log in name (same name and password as for all your other Purdue accounts)

2.       In the lower left is right column under "Site Hierarchy" go to the folder "ESE 2011". For a quick review of applicants, there is a Snapshot spreadsheet (with a date) in this general ESE 2011 folder, which currently only includes app information we had through noon on 1/3/11, but will be updated by tomorrow.

3.       Complete files are in the subfolder 'Faculty review...' and other applications that will soon be complete are in the subfolder 'Preview...'.

To do a Applicant Review, continue with the following steps.

4.       Click on the application to review it.

5.       Then submit your review by going to "2011 Applicant Review" near the top of the right column. Then click on "Respond to Survey" (on upper bar), which will pull up a simple review sheet with a minimal number of entries and questions as follows:

Applicant Last Name *

Applicant First Name *

Based on your overall application review and experience with other graduate students, select the overall ranking below that best fits this applicant. *

Ranks in the top 10%

Ranks in the upper 25%

Above Average

Average

Below Average

Recommend for admission to ESE program? *

Yes

No

Yes, with conditions

Specify your own value:

Please provide comments/reasons on your recommendation decision for this applicant:

Are you interested in this applicant for your lab, and if so, do you have funding to support this student?

Please list other faculty you feel may be interested in this student:

Additional Comments:

Fellowship Nominations
Email me (lslee at purdue.edu<mailto:lslee at purdue.edu>) right away of your interest and then move forward with an official nomination.
A complete nomination includes:

 *   A letter of nomination from the potential advisor (1 page).
 *   A full copy of the nominee's Graduate School application.
 *   A statement indicating how you plan to support the student for two or three additional years (depends on which fellowship), which can include other fellowships, research assistantships, teaching assistantships, or a combination thereof.

Please send your application material electronically to Linda S. Lee (lslee at purdue.ed<mailto:lslee at purdue.ed>)
EXCEPT for the PCCRC fellowship for which nomination materials should be sent to Rose Filley (rfilley at purdue.edu<mailto:rfilley at purdue.edu>). PCCRC nominations are due Feb1.

Linda S. Lee
Ecological Science & Engineering Interdisciplinary Graduate Program, Program Head
http://www.purdue.edu/dp/ese/
Professor, Environmental Chemistry, http://www.agry.purdue.edu/staffbio/lslbio.htm
Purdue University, Department of Agronomy
Crop Soil & Environmental Sciences
915 W. State Street, 3-363 Lilly Hall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2054
Office: (765) 494-8612; Fax (765) 496-2926