[Embrio-list] EMBRIO Announcements

Ladd, Brent Thomas laddb at purdue.edu
Mon Jun 5 07:32:30 EDT 2023

Dear EMBRIO,

Our next Weekly Update takes place Monday June 12th at 3pm ET. David Gazzo and Mayesha Mim (Zartman Lab) will lead an introduction to scientific figure creation employing BioRender. In advance of the workshop, sign-up and create a BioRender account for free at www.biorender.com<http://www.biorender.com/> so that you can follow along during the demo.

We are working on finalizing the schedule and registration will be open very soon for the EMBRIO Summer Workshop hosted by the Zartman Lab at Notre Dame July 10-12, followed by our Annual All-Hands Retreat at Purdue July 13-14. See a draft schedule for the workshop (attached) and please complete our RSVP poll<https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1HcnKhD5uxVQIbs> so that we can best plan the two events, get your input and ideas for additional training this year, and select your size preference on a new EMBRIO T-shirt.

Greg Reeves is guest editor for the upcoming special issue of IEEE Transactions on Molecular, Biological, and Multi-scale Communications entitled "Seeing Through the Crowd: Molecular Communication in Crowded and Multi-Cellular Environments". Submissions are invited now - deadline 9/15 (see full message below).

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite submissions to the upcoming special issue in IEEE Transactions on Molecular, Biological, and Multi-scale Communications entitled "Seeing Through the Crowd: Molecular Communication in Crowded and Multi-Cellular Environments". You can find the full CFP on the T-MBMC website<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.comsoc.org/publications/journals/ieee-tmbmc/cfp/seeing-through-crowd-molecular-communication-crowded-and-multi__;!!KwNVnqRv!DqknrsDVY8lQ4N2sd4VZZ_v4LW9qGY2biR-PRhd64Sid1BOkbPnkqYLXm2U5PpjxUxZp0eio4UGFiH5BwEI-WDPA$>. Please consider submitting and sharing this call with your collaborators.

We do welcome contributions from authors outside of IEEE/ComSoc. To facilitate this, initial submissions do not need to follow the IEEE formatting guidelines, as long as the scientific and technical ideas are conveyed clearly.

The aim of this Special Issue is to raise a spotlight on the diversity of complex environments and the tools that are needed to describe molecular signaling and communication in these systems. We have a particular interest in biophysical models that have not yet been subject to extensive molecular communication analysis, but contributions using any models that are appropriate for “large” cellular systems are welcome.

The list of invited topics includes (but is not limited to) research articles and surveys on the following:

  *   Signal propagation models designed for intercellular environments such as organoids, tissues, organs, tumors, and biofilms
  *   Signal propagation models designed for intracellular environments such as cytoplasm, nuclei, and organelles
  *   Signal propagation models designed for crowded environments (biological or non-biological) such as porous media
  *   Unconventional diffusion modeling, including anisotropic diffusion, anomalous diffusion (superdiffusion or subdiffusion), fractional Brownian motion, and multi-phase diffusion
  *   Biophysical flow modelling, including turbulent and laminar flow
  *   Multi-cellular chemical reaction networks
  *   Design of synthetic or natural communication systems in multi-cellular environments
  *   Communication system analysis in multi-cellular environments
  *   Decentralized cellular decision-making and computation
  *   Experimental methods to apply or detect signals in multi-cellular environments, either in aggregate or at single-cell resolution

Manuscript Submission Deadline: 15 September 2023
Publication Date: March 2024

Guest Editors
Adam Noel (Lead Guest Editor)
University of Warwick, UK

Andrew Eckford
York University, Canada

Radek Erban
University of Oxford, UK

Matteo Icardi
University of Nottingham, UK

Gregory Reeves
Texas A&M University, USA

If you have any questions about this Special Issue, please get in touch with me or any of the other SI Guest Editors (cc'd).

Best Regards,
Adam
On behalf of the SI Guest Editors

Dr Adam Noel<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/people/adam_noel/__;!!KwNVnqRv!DqknrsDVY8lQ4N2sd4VZZ_v4LW9qGY2biR-PRhd64Sid1BOkbPnkqYLXm2U5PpjxUxZp0eio4UGFiH5BwMbuR8Xi$> | Associate Professor | School of Engineering<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/__;!!KwNVnqRv!DqknrsDVY8lQ4N2sd4VZZ_v4LW9qGY2biR-PRhd64Sid1BOkbPnkqYLXm2U5PpjxUxZp0eio4UGFiH5BwJz48tvH$> (D205)
University of Warwick<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/__;!!KwNVnqRv!DqknrsDVY8lQ4N2sd4VZZ_v4LW9qGY2biR-PRhd64Sid1BOkbPnkqYLXm2U5PpjxUxZp0eio4UGFiH5BwKKJQVH7$> | Coventry, UK | CV4 7AL<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/interactive/__;!!KwNVnqRv!DqknrsDVY8lQ4N2sd4VZZ_v4LW9qGY2biR-PRhd64Sid1BOkbPnkqYLXm2U5PpjxUxZp0eio4UGFiH5BwKwkCzGN$>
adam.noel at warwick.ac.uk<mailto:adam.noel at warwick.ac.uk> | Internal: 74566 | M: 07391 100 137

Hide message history

Brent T. Ladd, Senior Research Program Manager, EMBRIO Institute<https://www.purdue.edu/research/embrio/>
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering