[Embrio-list] Important EMBRIO Events

Ladd, Brent Thomas laddb at purdue.edu
Fri Jan 6 09:57:56 EST 2023

[cid:37bfa110-b715-4f93-b091-aaedd7a4f12c]

Happy New Year EMBRIO Members!

As we all gear up for the spring semester, we have a number of important upcoming dates for the Institute that I'll be sending out calendar invites. Please take a few minutes to read the basic information about each event or deadline below.

NSF Site Visit - Friday, March 3, 10 am - 1pm ET

Our inaugural NSF site visit is scheduled for Friday, March 3, 10 am - 1 pm ET and conducted virtually (NSF will be sharing the meeting link soon). The purpose is for our NSF Program Officer Wilson Francisco and other officers of the NSF BII program to interact with us and learn about our progress, challenges, and plans moving forward. NSF has specifically focused the site visit on integration, with the requested format of one to two leadership members presenting on behalf of the Institute. The site visit is billed as an interactive discussion expected to take three hours with two 10 min breaks. NSF has asked for as many members as possible to participate in this site visit, as there will be opportunities for everyone to engage in the discussion, as well as gain input and feedback from the BII Program.

NSF Annual Report and Yr 3 Budget due to NSF in June

An FYI for EMBRIO Investigators - NSF has moved up all BII timelines this year for getting annual reports and budget requests submitted. We will need to start this process in March to ensure we make their new deadline.

Summer Trainee Workshop - July 10-12, Notre Dame University, South Bend, Indiana

Trainees, mark your calendars July 10-12 for our 2nd annual summer workshop to be hosted this year at Notre Dame. The primary focus of this workshop will be all things imaging related. Trainees will stay on site at Notre Dame starting Sunday evening July 9th. Travel, lodging, and agenda details forthcoming. Following the workshop, we will shuttle or collectively carpool attendees the 2-hour drive down to Purdue for the annual meeting (see below).

All-Hands Annual Meeting July 13-14, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana

The Institute's All-Hands Annual Meeting will be held in person Thursday and Friday, July 13-14 on Purdue's West Lafayette campus, hosted again by Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering. I'll be communicating the format, agenda, and logistics as those come together, but for now we want to plan on having as many members as possible in person for this event.

EMBRIO Purdue Research Experience for Undergraduates, May 22 - August 2. Deadline for Purdue Labs project descriptions for the SURF Application Program is Jan. 13.

EMBRIO Purdue Faculty: Please submit your project details (internal online survey<https://forms.gle/yzUQ6hEpFpXcwsN8A>) for mentoring a summer REU student in your lab. It is very beneficial to have your project details in by next Friday, January 13 for first consideration. This will enable prospective students to match up with your project and meet the SURF program<https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/Research/EURO/students/about-SURF> application deadlines. All EMBRIO summer REU students will participate in the SURF program. Please complete our internal EMBRIO online survey<https://forms.gle/yzUQ6hEpFpXcwsN8A> to submit your project details, and if you have a student already in mind, their contact information (you don't have to have a student in mind yet).

Student Stipend is full-time 40 hrs/wk for 10 wks. Student stipend of $6,000 is split equally 3-ways between 1/3 EMBRIO funds (covering the PI portion), 1/3 SURF/CoE funds, and 1/3 from faculty mentor's Department. For students who are recruited from an underrepresented minority population in science and engineering, EMBRIO will also cover the faculty mentor's departmental contribution.

Thrust & Site Leaders Workshop - Feb. 9-10, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana. Research Thrust Leaders - I'll be in touch with you on next steps for travel and lodging arrangements.

Weekly Research & Education Zoom Meetings 2023 Spring Semester, Monday’s 3 – 4 pm ET.

This semester we will maintain the Monday 3 pm (ET) time continuing our Weekly Updates split between research talks, DEI topics, professional development trainings, and a monthly meeting for Thrust and Site Leaders. We will kick off the new year with a research talk this coming Monday, January 9th by Dr. Krishna Jayant, Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University.

Spring Semester Zoom link:

 https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/99819751005?pwd=UVlvWVpxRDB0cDVXbmxBU1NUTEZGZz09&from=addon

  *   January 9 – Krishna Jayant, Asst. Prof., BME, Purdue
  *   January 16 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – University Holiday, No Meeting, please volunteer locally
  *   January 23 – Trainee Professional Development, Grants Series Session #2
  *   January 30 – Anjali Iyer-Pascuzzi, Assoc. Prof., BPP, Purdue, DEI Director, EMBRIO
  *   February 6 – Thrust & Site Leads Update Meeting
  *   February 13 – Priyanka Baloni, Asst. Prof, HHS, Purdue
  *   February 20 – Trainee Professional Development, Grants Series Session #3
  *   February 27 – Bakary Samasa, Mary Mullins Lab
  *   March 6 – Thrust & Site Leads Update Meeting
  *   March 13 – Spring break, no meeting
  *   March 20 – Open
  *   March 27 - Trainee Professional Development
  *   April – May TBD

Best,
Brent

Brent T. Ladd, Senior Research Program Manager, EMBRIO Institute<https://www.purdue.edu/research/embrio/>