[Embrio-list] EMBRIO Grant Writing Session #3 prep for Monday

Ladd, Brent Thomas laddb at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 15 10:30:27 EST 2023

Dear EMBRIO Students and Postdocs,

For our next professional development session in grant writing on Monday the 20th at 3pm ET with Dr. Cannon, we will continue learning to deconstruct and critique aims pages - a crucial skill that will greatly aid in conveying your proposals to funders, industry, and collaborators.

Thank you to Jazzmin Owens and Peter Brumm, both Ph.D. students in EMBRIO, for volunteering to share their individual draft aims with the group. *please don’t share their aims pages outside of our EMBRIO group, as these are their intellectual property*.

Looking forward to having the students and postdocs together for this session next Monday,

Brent

Session 3: Demystifying the Craft of Developing an Aims Page

Monday, February 20, 2023, 3pm ET

Zoom link: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/99819751005?pwd=UVlvWVpxRDB0cDVXbmxBU1NUTEZGZz09&from=addon

Instructions for for Session 3:

  1.  Review one or both Jazzmin’s and Peter’s Aims pages available on the Box account folder here: https://app.box.com/s/8ajo994qt51m14rzd3g3anj03ocjfcvq

  1.  Using different shades of color coding, highlight the following key components for unmarked aims pages:

     *   What is the problem?

     *   What has been done already to address the problem?

     *   What is the gap that remains?

     *   How do you propose to address this gap?

  1.  Small Groups/Volunteers:  Share what you identified for each section. Orally state the hypothesis. Is it clearly testable?

  1.  In 1-2 sentences describe the importance and impact of the work and any other feedback for Jazzmin and/or Peter.

Brent T. Ladd, Senior Research Program Manager, EMBRIO Institute<https://www.purdue.edu/research/embrio/>
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering
Purdue University
laddb at purdue.edu