All linux servers to be patched and rebooted overnight

Sundeep Rao sundeep at purdue.edu
Thu Jan 4 11:19:37 EST 2018

All,

Please be aware that ALL ECN linux servers will be rebooted overnight
(tonight) to patch recently announced serious security flaws.

Please save all your documents and log off at the end of the day today to
prevent data loss from open files.

As more information about this flaw becomes available, we may have other
mass patching and updating (with additional reboots) to do this month. Your
patience during this time is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-Sundeep
ECN

PS: Patches for this flaw are currently expected to have an initially
estimated performance hit in the 20% range. Not exactly how we wanted to
start 2018!