[BNC-grads-list] Seminar at Birck today for Boris Luk'yanchuk in Rm 2001 @ 1:30PM

Black, Nancy Lee blackn at purdue.edu
Fri Apr 29 10:45:26 EDT 2011

Boris Luk'yanchuk Senior Scientist and Division Manager at Data Storage Institute, Singapore

Bio: Here we are discussing the magnification effect of the transparent spherical particle. It is well known that transparent spherical particle can work as a focusing lens in the near field. For example, for transparent particle with refractive index n < 2 it was shown experimentally that it is possible to localize light up to scale beyond 50-100 nm in agreement with calculations by the Mie theory. Especially great localization can be obtained for particles with n > 2 (photon jet). Thus, we believe that according to reciprocity principle one can expect high resolution of the spherical lens in the near-field. It is possible to find exact relation between lens magnification M  and field enhancement I/I0 under the approximation of geometrical optics, . This function with a high accuracy can be approximated by power-like law .  We also are discussing the virtual image construction applying the reciprocity principle and virtual prolongation of the Poynting vector lines. Both methods show that it is possible to reach magnification of the virtual image 4-8 times which is sufficient to resolve nano structures with dimension of 50-100 nm in white light.

Abstract: Prof. Dr. Boris Luk`yanchuk graduated from the Moscow State University in 1967, PhD (1979) from the P. N. Lebedev Physical Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences and Doctor of Sciences (1991) - from the General Physics Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences. State Professor's degree since 1992.  He was working as Senior Scientist and a Head of the Laboratory at the General Physics Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences till 1999. He was also working abroad as invited Professor in Austria, Italy, France, Sweden, Japan and Australia. Since 1999 he is working as a Senior Scientist and a Division Manager of Advanced Concepts Group at the Data Storage Institute, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Singapore. He published 5 monographs and above 300 papers. He is a Honorary Professor at Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria and a Fellow of the Optical Society of America. Fields of his interest are related to laser matter interactions.

Host:  Vladimir Shalaev, shalaev at purdue.edu, 494-9855