[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Webinar by Prof. Biswajit Ray, U Alabama on "3D NAND based Storage Systems for Hardware-security, Reliability and Edge-computing"

Gupta, Sumeet Kumar guptask at purdue.edu
Mon May 31 14:58:12 EDT 2021

Hello

It is my great pleasure to host Prof. Biswajit Ray, University of Alabama for his talk in the ECE Seminar Series. The details are below and attached. Hope to see you in the seminar.

Many thanks to Prof. Alam for his kind suggestion.

Thanks

Sumeet

When: June 3, 2021 (Thursday), 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM (ET)

Where: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/3164232249

Title: 3D NAND based Storage Systems for Hardware-security, Reliability and Edge-computing

Abstract: Non-volatile memory such as NAND flash technology is ubiquitous in electronic systems that are used in many unmanned autonomous vehicles, sensor nodes, space and defense electronics and internet of things applications. While NAND flash memory offers high-density, low-cost, and light-weight storage solutions in small form factors, they suffer from security vulnerabilities and reliability issues. Even though emerging non-volatile memories offer high security and reliability, they are limited in capacity (in Megabytes) and cost, making them impractical for many emerging data-intensive applications, such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and predictive analytics. Thus, there exists a need to enhance the security and reliability of the commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) NAND flash memory to enable data-intensive applications at the edge nodes and extreme environments.

In this talk, I will share my experimental research on the security, reliability and low-power computing using COTS 3D NAND flash memory. I will introduce a unique device-system interactive framework for 3D NAND system which enables creation of hardware-security functions such as, PUF, TRNG, Watermark, true-sanitization and different anti-counterfeit solutions. In addition, I will illustrate the application of 3D NAND for the future low-power computing systems. Finally, I will present a conceptual framework to understand the radiation effects on the 3D NAND storage and system-level error-mitigation strategies.

Speaker Bio: Biswajit Ray is an Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering with the University of Alabama in Huntsville, AL, USA, where he leads Hardware Reliability Laboratory. Dr. Ray received Ph.D. from Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN and then he worked in SanDisk Corporation, Milpitas, California developing 3D NAND Flash memory technology. Dr. Ray holds 15 U.S. issued patents on non-volatile memory systems, published more than 50 research papers in international journals and conferences. Dr. Ray is a senior member, IEEE and the recipient of Outstanding Faculty Research Award (2020), The University of Alabama in Huntsville.