[Bnc-faculty-all-list] BRK seed research grants: Fall 2018 results and reminder for Spring 2019 proposals

Chen, Yong P chen276 at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 8 00:27:50 EST 2018

Dear colleagues:

Please note the Birck Seed Grant proposals (1-page) for a spring 2019 project is due on Nov. 25, see attached call for 1-page proposals (new or updated proposals).    Please email your new/updated proposal to me (yongchen at purdue.edu<mailto:yongchen at purdue.edu>) and cc Jaime (jjturner at purdue.edu).

During the last cycle (for Fall 2018 projects) we received 10 excellent proposals.  Thanks for Ali's support we were able to fund 2 seed projects which already are underway:

"Quantum Molecular Beacons for Biomolecular Sensing"
By S. Ramanathan (Materials Engineering) and J. H. Choi (Mechanical Engineering)

"A Multifunctional Micro-Photonic Device for Photon Generation and Processing"
By  Mahdi Hosseini and Sunil Bhave (ECE)

We congratulate the PIs for these seed projects and wish them the best luck in obtaining key prelim data to pursue continued funding.

The other proposals received from the last cycle will be automatically considered once more during this cycle (the proposers have the optional to submit an updated version by Nov. 25) along with any new proposals received.  If you already performed the project or received other funding to support we would be interested to know as well.  You are still eligible to submit a different idea of course.

Factors giving proposals higher priority in this program include:  new research/collaboration direction clearly different from existing work, unlikely to be done otherwise yet promising for further funding; bringing people from different disciplines working together or new users to Birck or led by early-career faculty;

Thanks for your continued interest and support.

Best regards,
Yong

Yong P. Chen, PhD.
Associate Director of Research for Birck Nanotechnology Center
Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Director of Purdue Quantum Center
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 USA
(765) 494-0947;  yongchen at purdue.edu<mailto:yongchen at purdue.edu>
http://www.physics.purdue.edu/quantum
https://engineering.purdue.edu/PQC/
http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/