[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Coral Reservation Abuse - ACTION REQUESTED - on behalf of John Weaver

David B. Janes janes at ecn.purdue.edu
Sat Aug 28 15:56:07 EDT 2010

BNC Faculty Colleagues:

As part of this thread, Eric and Steve have made suggestions regarding
how to rectify the situation.  I would like
to point out that the Policy and Procedures committee has discussed this
general issue several times in the past (although not the specific
recent situation addressed in John's email).  While "suspend privileges"
or "charge the account even if the equipment is not used" may be valid
approaches in some situations/equipment, there are legitimate cases
where a reserved slot cannot be used.  For example, in many processes, a
number of pieces of equipment are needed in sequence; if one piece of
equipment is down, there is no use for the next piece of equipment.
Likewise, if a prior processing step does not work properly.  Couple
this with the fact that we have a number of time-critical process steps,
and there will be unavoidable times where a sign-up slot would not be
used - and would not likely be of use to other people (since they would
not have time to perform the prior processing steps).

That being said, the situation described in John's email is way beyond
these circumstances.
Please discuss the situation with your students -- particularly those
who have been frequent violators.
I view this as one of several "citizenship" issues that we have at Birck
-- other issues include mis-use/breakage of equipment, failure to clean
up after one's self, and use of other groups' specialty
chemicals/supplies without permission and/or without contributing to
replacement costs.

By way of cc, I will ask John and/or Jeff to provide a copy of the
spreadsheet (omitted from the original email),

As I said in an earlier email, we have put the P&P committee on
indefinite hold -- primarily due to lack of participation by faculty.
If you would like to participate in shaping BNC lab access and safety
policies, the P&P committee would be an excellent venue.

Dave