[Bnc-facility-notice] NOTICE - BRK Building Wide Utility Testing for CHIPS Act Enhancements

Voorhis, Mark L. mvoorhis at purdue.edu
Thu Feb 8 19:03:30 EST 2024

Dear BRK User,
BRK Utility Infrastructure Testing
With the complexity of the upcoming CHIPS Act enhancements involving building wide utility infrastructure, we will be completing a series of isolated tests involving campus chill water operations to prepare for future preventative maintenance closures.  The tests will happen every Tuesday morning at 7:15 AM - 8 AM.  During the tests we will see fluctuations with temperature and humidity in the cleanroom only.  All general labs will not be affected during these tests.
Future Planning Involving CHIPS Act Project
During future PM closures BRK management is aware of the following systems that will be interrupted.
q  Ultra-pure water system will be down for 2 to 3 weeks for a major enhancement (during one of the future PM closures).
o   Ultra-pure water is used in all wet chemical fume hoods (acid and solvent) in all general labs and in the cleanroom.

q  Main campus chilled water and process cooling water system will be off or minimized for 1 to 2 days (during one of the future PM closures).
o   All general labs and cleanroom ambient temperature and humidity control will be shutdown.
o   All research tools in all general labs and cleanroom (including sub fab) that is connected to the process cooling water will lose temperature control and water flow.
o   Process cooling water is used for internal cooling for research tool sub-systems like cryo compressors, vacuum pumps, and main research tool.

q  A main switchboard supplying power to the building will be down for 24 hours effecting all HVAC systems in the building.
o   There will be no ambient temperature or humidity control for all general labs, sub fab, cleanroom, offices, and atrium.
o   Cleanroom will lose all static pressure control and laminar air flow.
o   Exposed research materials in the cleanroom will need to be protected.
o   All general labs will lose lab supply air with no temperature and humidity control and all chemical and BIO exhaust systems.

This information is subject to change as we proceed through the CHIPS Act construction project.  For research planning purposes please review following information involving our future preventive maintenance closures.
[cid:image002.png at 01DA5AC1.805B0E50]
Late last week the final cleanroom construction schedule was completed, and we are waiting on the final documentation from the Pepper Construction Inc. (general contractor).  We plan to schedule a Teams meeting with BNC Users between Purdue University Physical Facilities project manager and Pepper Construction, to answer any questions you may have.
Best Regards,
BNC Leadership