[Bnc-facility-notice] Improper Disposal of Solvents down lab drains

Jurss, Stephen E sejurss at purdue.edu
Mon May 15 10:20:37 EDT 2023

Users,

We complete random quarterly monitoring of our waste water from the labs. The last sample in April identified acetone. Solvent waste is to go into the what solvent containers in the hoods! The message below is from REM and the continued actions will result in major facility issues.

Please communicate with BIRK's administration and ask that they remind the users of BIRK (students but also PIs) that all solvent waste must be collected and submitted to EHS (formerly REM) for pickup in order for Purdue to stay compliant with its hazardous waste permit.

The University's hazardous waste permit is issued by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (under direction of the United States Environmental Protection Agency); fines for non-compliance can be more than $90,000/day per occurrence.  Environmental regulatory compliance is required of all faculty, staff and students at Purdue by way of Environmental Health and Safety Compliance Policy: IV.A.4.

Robin Mills Ridgway, PhD, PE, CHMM, LEED AP
Pronouns:  She, her, hers
Director of Environmental Health and Safety Compliance | Environmental Health and Safety/REM*
Hazardous Materials Management
rmridgway at purdue.edu<mailto:rmridgway at purdue.edu> | 765-496-6405<tel:7654966405>
HMMT
201 Ahlers Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47906
https://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem

[E5084D72]<https://www.purdue.edu/>

*Radiological and Environmental Management (REM) is changing our name.  We will now be Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)