[Bnc-facility-notice] NOTICE - East Wing General Lab Ambient Temperature and Humidity Control

Voorhis, Mark L. mvoorhis at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 4 11:33:09 EDT 2020

Dear East Lab Wing User,

Physical Facilities has complete the investigation on the air handling unit and unfortunately we have bad news to report.  There was serious damage to the main fan wheel bearing and fan shaft (attached photo).  Adding to the issue Monday is a holiday for most companies will be closed and shipping carriers will not be delivering to Purdue campus leading to more delays with getting repair parts needed for the fan.  We could be looking at the middle to late next week before we have that unit operational.  We are currently investigating different options to speed up the repairs when possible.

Being this interruption turned into a long term outage, attention to labs with high heat loads (e.g. lab 1039, lab 1043, and lab 1031) where research owners and users will need to manually monitor temperatures inside their labs and take appropriate action to protect research equipment from overheating.   Additionally there will be no humidity control and we will be at the mercy of the outside ambient conditions and to expect higher humidity levels in ALL labs in the east lab wing.

Physical Facilities department knows this is a critical issue for research at the center and this is a high priority for them.  I will kept you posted on the progress of the repairs when new information becomes available.

Thank you,

Mark Voorhis
Building Manager
Office: (765) 494-3036